TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

alternator inspection and date code stamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator inspection and date code stamp
    Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 10:40pm
It's been over two years in the making - not full time, of course...... I am attempting to have the inspection stamp Motorola used (simple) and the date code stamp (much more difficult) duplicated so that alternators I do full restoration on can end up with the proper inspection and date code stamps on them. 
I had my son try to find the font used by Motorola and even as a graphic designer, he struck out. Recently I found a company that had something really close, but it's "bold" and ends up too wide - they are working with a supplier to see if something custom can be done.
I am hoping to hear back in a week or so to see if they've had any luck. The inspection stamp they said they can do, I provided some parts with original stamps for them to work with.
The date numerals they sent out photographs to see if something can be made up to match. 
The trick is that the string varies with each unit - depending on the year and week it was made, and numbers may be used three times in a single mark meaning each time I do one, I'd be changing the characters of the stamp. 
If this works out, all future alternator restorations will have the product code and date code stamped back onto it as well as the inspection mark put on the isolation diodes. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 1:58pm
I got a proof back today and from what I can tell they have matched the originals as exact as is humanly possible. 
So in the near future I'll be able to give restored alternators the product/date code stamp and isolation diodes an inspection mark. (custom pieces aren't cheap ..... then there is setup fee, etc. )
With that being said, all those wanting restoration would need to supply the approximate build date of their car in case the original stamp is worn off, faded or otherwise unreadable on their core. 
It's possible that the "original" actually isn't if the car was repaired under warranty or at an AMC shop and a replacement alternator was installed - in that case the build date could be almost anything prior to the date of repair - so even if it's still readable, knowing the rough date the car was built could be a help.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 2:57pm
Is this the stamp you are talking about? This is the one i had made for my Hornet. I know this number is date coded so you'd need a bunch of them.

AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 3:46pm
That's the product code/date code, yes.
It was rarely centered, sometimes the first or last digit was off the edge a bit, sometimes it was pretty nice and sometimes it was smudged, and sometimes thicker than it should be likely due to too much ink or moving their stamp in the process. I went through many dozens of units to find the best examples, and examples of each digit to be duplicated - I had to find multiple examples of each number, 0 through 9 then duplicate the look of each.

One of the issues - getting the numbers to be "light" enough and not bold so that when stamped it would mimic the original. Ink tends to spread on solid surfaces when pressed against it...... so the stamp font needs to be a tad light.
Now as far as needing a bunch - not really, because the system I'm using will have swappable numbers.
The 185 is automotive electric division, and is static. The last three after a small space are the date - year followed by the last two indicating the week of the year.
185 915 would be fifteenth week of 1969 
I'll be able to duplicate almost any date code except for something like 185 111 because I'll only have three of each digit - although I COULD do it with multiple applications of the stamp....... but the odds of the eleventh week of 1971 are slim.......... Wink

The font is non-standard - it took some thinking and experimenting to "duplicate" it. I explained to them how I was able to do it and within a few hours they had a proof sent to me.

So in the near future, all alternators I send out restored will also be stamped! (inspection stamp on isolation diode, too)

In this example (one of my NOS alternators) the 185 are right while the last numbers are heavy because the stamp moved a bit on the right end......

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:31pm
Got the call that the stuff is in - hopefully will pick it up tomorrow and check it for accuracy,  etc.
If it's as hoped, all future alternator restorations will include the product code/date code stamp if I either have the approximate build date of the car (to be sure I put on a prior date) or can tell from remaining original date stamp. 
Here's hoping.........
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 12:20pm
Examples of the inspection and product/date code stamps.................. compared to some originals and NOS they look really close, in fact hard to tell any differences.
So full restorations will be stamped if you can tell me the week or even month/year your car was built or I can read an original stamp (Like I was able to do with one on my bench now - I'll simply put back the same year/week it had originally)

(PS - Ross, two headed your way depending on how Barbara's hand wound turns out. Hope to mail out today or tomorrow.)

Edited by billd - Dec/08/2017 at 12:41pm
rrh8512 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrh8512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2020 at 10:52pm
I would appreciate it if the individual who developed the inspectors stamp would contact me at ramblerbob1965@gmail.com.  I would like to talk to you about having my alternator stamped but I don't have your contact information.  Thank you.  Bob 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2020 at 10:59pm
I do the alternator, starter, wiper and blower restorations. The alternator restoration includes the Motorola product code and date stamp as well as the code on the isolation diode. 
They all start with 185, the general product code, followed by year, then week of the year. 
185 842 for example would be 1968, the 42nd week of the year 1968. 
There were numbers other than 17 on the isolation diode but 17 was by far the most common. The only others I've seen have been 36 and I believe one other. I suspect it could have been location as it wasn't a date. Those with the 17 range from the mid-60s all the way into the 70s and were in both AMC boxes and Motorola boxes so it doesn't even follow the market. 

Edited by billd - Mar/28/2020 at 11:04pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2020 at 11:01pm
click on BillD's name on the left side of this post.
It will give you an option of sending a Private Message.
Click on that.
Type your message
Send.

That's the easy way to communicate on this Forum. And welcome!

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic