TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ALT light on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALT light on
    Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 3:47pm
The ALT light comes on and glows brightly. when the engine is running.

Using a voltmeter across the battery +/- terminals, and the engine running at 700 rpm the reading is 14.89 volts. ALT light is bright on.

Engine off, key off, the voltage reading across the battery is 12.85.

Any ideas?

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 4:33pm
Replace the Diode Trio.

1971 SC360
1973 Ambassador Sedan 360
1973 Hornet X 360
1973 Javelin AMC 401
1975 Sportabout X 258
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 5:50pm
No such thing on a 1970 Javelin........ that's later, in 71 and later. 1970 and prior didn't have a diode trio.

But it could be the isolation diode (or even regulator, fuse, or other things)

Do a quick test - with the engine running check the voltage at the output terminal of the alternator.
Now check the voltage at the terminal where the orange wire connects.
You should have a difference of .8 volts (eight tenths of a volt) a maximum of one volt difference.
If there is NO difference, or if the difference is over one (1) volt, you have issues with the isolation diode - the diode or diodes in that red heat sink plate on the alternator.

Let us know if it's a 55 or a 35 amp, etc. and we can help from there (it's what I do - restore, rebuild, fix/repair, diagnose and more)
35 amp will have one diode in the plate, 55 amp is used on AC cars or heavy-duty charging system cars and has two diodes in the red plate.

If you get .8v difference, then we move from there to diagnose, I have all of the original Motorola books and charts and more. 
Check connections while you are at it - ensure the black wire is secure on the alternator, etc.

PS - my bet is isolation diode. The reason is your voltage - it's about one volt too high.
The regulator regulates at 14.8 on your car with an R2AM4 regulator but that's at the ORANGE wire - the output should be lower by .8 to 1.0 volts. Since your output isn't lower by about a volt, I suspect shorted isolation diode. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 12:33pm
55 amp alternator Bill,

purchased it rebuilt, installed when  I added AC to Javelin.

Still have the 35 amp Alt, original to car, still works,

Still using original voltage regulator.

Hoping to check things from your info tonight.

I did read your posts at beginning of electric section about alternators too.

Thanks Bill !
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 12:39pm
You're very welcome. Good luck - if I had TIME, I have a whole lot of stuff I'd either can and post, or write up. 
Gotta keep these AMCs going. (and their owners but there's not a lot I can do about that part, LOL)
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 12:24pm

O'Reilly can get them in rebuilt, 55 amp. guy said there's 50 of them available.

Ten bucks to ship.  $60.99

Limited Lifetime Warranty

any opinions?

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Samuelsc360 Samuelsc360 wrote:

Replace the Diode Trio.

Where do I find the diode trio part?

Thanks
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 12:35pm
Yeah - good luck. There was recently someone who went through three of them before getting a good one that actually didn't cause the light to glow. 
The picture looks "ok" but you don't know the pulley size, case type, and other things, that you actually get.
Sure, the price is ok, but referring back to having to go through three to get a good one, and knowing they test them for charging only, and not much else, all I can say is "use at your own risk".

I have a few reman on my shelves, using for cores, and have worked on several that were sent to me - that I discovered were reman, and the parts were wrong, questionable processes used (like painting over rust, weak diodes and so on)

I can't compete with 60 bucks and won't try.  The parts I use alone would be almost that much. 

A recent thread also showed someone with the alt light glowing - and after some back and forth, found it was the replacement alternator, he tried another and the light stopped glowing. 
That tells me the first ones had weak isolation diodes, not tested for the correct voltage drop under load.

You will find people here who have gone with such things and have had good luck. That's how it goes. Some will say go for it - because they did and it was fine. I can't ever say "they are all bad", only comment based on experience, and what I have on my shelves (seeing first-hand what's inside and how they do it)
I also suspect "your mileage may vary" because a lot depends on the source of the part that the store sells. Some are better than others, for sure.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Originally posted by Samuelsc360 Samuelsc360 wrote:

Replace the Diode Trio.

Where do I find the diode trio part?

Thanks

you can't because they were not used in 1970.
Motorola didn't use those until LATER.  (there are also different causes anyway, don't just swap parts without a diagnosis)
Further-  Motorola never called 'em that, you'd need to ask for a FIELD DIODE if you went to a place that used Motorola terminology. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 2:17pm
Billd,

you are a wealth of electrical knowledge my friend.

What I would enjoy knowing are a couple things, as I am beginning to think this is going to be a long drawn out process.

Will it damage anything if I continue to drive the car with the ALT light on.

The battery is an Optima Red Top. I haven't driven it more than ten miles with the light on so far.

If that diode or diodes is failing/failed, does it tend to "cook" the battery?

Other idea, until I can get the 55 amp Motorola repaired, if I put the 35 amp back in, will that kinda keep up with the charging when AC is on?

Motorola's are finicky and few people rebuild them correctly. I almost gotta do it myself, and of course it's summer -  more fun to drive em now than fix em...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic