TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air Filter Systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:38am
Had another look at this today after seeing many systems at this show.
At the front of the hood of the Javelin are 2 large openings in front of the radiator as well as above the breather.
All the hood support channels end up opening to the area above the breather.
If all the other openings are covered/sealed, and a piece is fabricated with a hole/seal above the breather, then all intake air will have to come from the area in front of the radiator.
The sq in area and channels of the hood are roughly 4x the snorkels.
Thoughts?  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 1:25pm
Sounds like a good plan! The only issue you might have is cold weather driving, if you drive it in really cold weather. If it gets much below 40 degrees disconnect the fresh air intakes so warmed air is pulled in. Above 45 or so hook them up for a bit better power. Probably not enough to notice, but some.
Frank Swygert
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 10:23pm
hi, just watched that video. Please forgive me if I sound stupid, but, am I understanding the results correctly? 
They say they have a HP point at which the air cleaner becomes a restriction, so, below that HP point, the air cleaner in question should be ok, right?
Case in point, I have a pretty healthy 258 in a 77 AMX Hornet, Lunati cam, Roller rockers, etc, etc, all the goodies. I don't actually know how much HP it makes, but easily MUCH more than a stock 77 258. My engine builder, an older and very honorable gentleman, told me it should be good for about .9hp/ci. so, 262x.9=235hp. I just swapped the old BBD for a rebuilt/rebushed, by me, Motorcraft 2150, that used to live on a 76 304. 1.08, #47 jets. Woke the car right up! Almost fun to drive now, btw NEW T5, .73od.
anyway, air cleaners. I have that Fly's Eye on it, that was like the videos 4th worst or something, looks good, fits under hood, yadda, yadda.
According to them. it's ok for up to 350hp engines, so, my 200something HP 258(+.030) should be ok with this, no?
That Edelbrock Fly's Eye takes in air from all directions, so what makes it so restrictive? The foam element? Edelbrocks, slightly hyperbolic ads, say that thing can flow 1000cfm, more than a healthy 258 can use, no?
The only issue I can see, is that with the hood closed, the underhood insulation is VERY close to the top of the air cleaner, so maybe try a 10" by 2" edelbrock #1203?
thank you, gz
george z
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 11:41pm
The fly’s eye probably has a relatively small filter area so that would be a factor. Most conventional filters have the filter media in a zig zag pattern to increase the surface area. Definitely more of an issue on bigger capacity engines and/or high rpm use.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Had another look at this today after seeing many systems at this show.
At the front of the hood of the Javelin are 2 large openings in front of the radiator as well as above the breather.
All the hood support channels end up opening to the area above the breather.
If all the other openings are covered/sealed, and a piece is fabricated with a hole/seal above the breather, then all intake air will have to come from the area in front of the radiator.
The sq in area and channels of the hood are roughly 4x the snorkels.
Thoughts?  

Trader,
Interesting that you should post such an idea. I assume you are talking about the 70 Javelin hood/s as there is some difference in the years and a difference between the two hoods available from the factory in 1970.
The standard hood has two recesses with chromed inserts that could be removed and converted for ducting into the air cleaner. The ram air hood for 1970 does exactly that.
Here's the fascinating part, Penske/Donohue, in their search for any "unfair advantage" they could find while racing Trans Am prepped versions of the 1970 Javelin, discovered that by ducting the air from down low in front of the windshield out of the area below the grille where the wiper control arms are located and ducting that air into the air cleaner they actually increased engine performance over the factory "Ram Air" hood and ducting.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 6:13pm
Fly's Eye at best is nice looking.

At worst you are one backfire away from
melting the thing.

I have picked one too many (melted ones) out of a carburetor.

I avoid any foam air cleaner.

Gremlin Dreams
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 7:56pm
Even AMC knew the importance of sealed air cleaners with snorkle tubing through the radiator core support -they were late to the party of course, as the big 3 had already been doing it for years.  They even blew money on the 1-year only 78 Matadors designing a fairly comprehensive snorkle system. by 1980, I think everything in the AMC range had them.  It works!

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 10:04pm
White70,
My hood is unique and don't know it's history.
It's on a 69 but is a 70 with the metal vane inserts removed and metal welded in. The area above the breather is wide open. Looked like something was there at some point, but I welded up the rivet holes as I thought they didn't belong. 
But a 70 hood should be too long to fit a 69?
The car also had a rear spoiler, roll cage at some point. I removed and replaced rusted sub frame connectors that were there with the same material and configuration.  
I got it this way and had a lot of trouble getting it on the road as the VIN was not in any North American system as being certified for the road, but did have ownership.
Were did you find the information on Penske/Doohue modifications?
Don't know if it's relevant to my car or some of it's pieces but would like the history.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 6:14am
"Here's the fascinating part, Penske/Donohue, in their search for any "unfair advantage" they could find while racing Trans Am prepped versions of the 1970 Javelin, discovered that by ducting the air from down low in front of the windshield out of the area below the grille where the wiper control arms are located and ducting that air into the air cleaner they actually increased engine performance over the factory "Ram Air" hood and ducting."

That's because there is a low pressure area at the base of the windshield when a car is at speed. Don't know how fast you need to be going to develop low pressure there, but it's easy to suck air in when pressure is already low. Face the snorkel to the rear and cut a hole into the cowl vent area, or use a rear facing cowl induction hood/scoop.
Frank Swygert
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 6:20am
Errr, you mean high pressure at the base of the windshield...

At any speed there is a high pressure build up there.

The faster you go the higher it gets.

But it is hard to beat picking up the air in the grill or head light area.

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic