TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air conditioners in 68 ambassadors rare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air conditioners in 68 ambassadors rare?
    Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 6:30pm
Like the title says, was a/c in a 68 ambassador a rarer option? I have one in my local yard that doesn't have the engine parts. But has everything on the fire wall and under the dash and the dash. Would it be worth pulling out? Would it be worth it without the motor parts? And what would be to much to pay for it? How much of it should I grab?(ie, the dash?)

Thanks guys.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:39pm
A/C was standard on 68 Ambassadors though it was a delete option. It appears that quite a few were made without it. The a/c equipment inside the car is interchangeable between 67 and 68 big body cars, Rebel, Marlin & Ambassador. Under the hood, 6 and V8 models had different hoses and compressor placement.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 11:07pm
so not really worth the time and effort to pull it all apart i'll leave it for someone else that wants it.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 3:51am
Assuming this is a factory a/c car and not a hang on system I would say it's worth saving if it appears to be in decent condition .If the car is a V8 car and the hoses are still there then I would say it's worth pulling everything you can and saving if the car is going to be crushed. Since the components inside are used in both 1967 & 1968 models even the interior components including the controls, evaporator, duct work and especially the a/c unique dash pads are worth saving for someone who would aspire to add a/c to their Rebel, Marlin or Ambassador. Thanks to FHPDAVE Detroit Muscle Technologies now makes and sells all the insulation and foam seals needed to restore the evaporator and ducting system.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 12:17pm
It's a factory a/c car. The motor was missing when I found it. So everything forward of The a/c coil is missing. But all of the box and blower motor in the engine bay ate still the. Everything in side is still there
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 3:04pm
I remember AMC advertising that AC was standard while other brands had it as optional.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 1:08am
You should grab it while you can and save it.  
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 6:40pm
For what it's worth I can tell you that I have the stock setup on my 67 Ambassador. Other than conversion to R134 it's pure stock. I'm not claiming it's the most efficient or smoothest available unit but it works just fine. If you want stock, save the a/c parts and install them someday. It makes a nice difference on our long trips.

Bruce clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

I remember AMC advertising that AC was standard while other brands had it as optional.

AMC ran a magazine ad in 1968 with the Ambo next to a Rolls Royce. "The only other car in the world to have air conditioning standard costs $9,000 more (I can't remember exact #) than the American Motors Ambassador that lists for $3000."  Or something to that effect!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic