TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air compressor...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 5:19pm
Congratulations on running in 220.  It opens up a whole new level of capability.  Need a plasma cutter?  Got it covered.  Have a big steam cleaner?  Got it covered.  Have an arc welder?  Got it covered.  A whole new level.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:48am
I agree, you have to get 220 installed.  Shop air is probably the most important tool for me in my shop.  A few of my tools (Plasma cutter & Mig Welder) will run on either 110/220 but 220 is so much better.  My feeling is you can never have enough air so spend a little more money and get as big (CFM) as you can get.  I have a Quincy 80 Gal, 2 stage and it's great.  The next thing is to get your air dry.  Also, you should drain the compressor often.  My2Cents..
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 12:46pm
If you dig into the specs usually you can find the decibel level of sound a compressor makes. I had a Sears unit but returned it because it was really loud. I found a 3 cylinder belt drive low RPM oil lubricated compressor that is reasonably quiet. It was beyond your budget but pay attention to the noise level.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 7:08pm
compressors that produce more than 15CFM are all loud unless you spend >$3K for a low RPM unit with a titanic pump.  I have a Quincy QT7.5 and it's not inexpensive.  And it's loud.  If I could do it again, I'd spend more $ on something else, maybe a Saylor Beall but at the time the Quincy was more than I could afford. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 7:33am
I have an Industrial Air compressor with a big American flag plastered on it with a "Made in USA" sticker.  They must have been talking about the tank and the motor because the pump is a Chinese knockoff of a Saylor Beall 705.  When that pump dies, a Saylor is replacing it.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 11:16am
Hopefully I won't be having to replace anything on the Northstar that I have anytime soon. 
It's still pumping out the air and building pressure as it should. The 220 line has been a life saver and should of had one put in years ago. One thing that I have been thinking about though..
If these tanks are so prone to rusting from the inside out, then why don't the people who make them line the inside of the tank with some type of non rusting paint or something..?? 
I do keep it drained when not in use, but still get quite a bit of nasty rusty water out of it when I do drain it. 
Just a thought.. Approve
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 12:56pm
Compressor tanks (at least from quality manufacturers) aren't very prone to rusting to the point of pinhole leaks or failure.  yes, if you search images you'll see plenty of fractured or exploded tanks.  But for a reality check, I've seen tanks dated in the 1950s, that were used in small shops since new, still in use 20 years ago.  And anything used in a business most likely will not be drained like it should.  When I worked in a shop we'd maybe drain the tank yearly (~80 gal horizontal) when the owner told someone to, and literally gallons of water would come out- it was in the basement.  And it was probably 40 yrs old at that time.  Terrible, and not recommended, but reality.

Drain it every few times you use it and it'll outlast you.  If you can, install a length of pipe so that the water fills the pipe and not initially the tank.  I have a small plastic takeout food round container under the drain valve in mine, and this reminds me to drain it more often that I did before I had the pan there.
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 1:02am
Try tiptools.com they have everything you need and show how to use them.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic