TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

air compressor pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air compressor pump
    Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 1:03pm

I got a FREE ! ! ! craftsman 1HP air compressor from my the guy next door to me. It was sitting out side next to his house for a while. So I get this rusty hunk, and start messing with it, looks like water got inside the twin cyl. pump and the electrical parts were a little rusty and deteriorated. drained everything out of it, re-wired the switch, the belt snapped, got a new one of them. fire it up, and it works ! pressures up, holds air, no issues with the tank. but it seems the twin cyl. pump has a crack in it Unhappy when I put new oil into the pump some leaks out. the crack is in the area by the shaft. You can see it very easily, It kinda has me scratching my head, cause it works and cycles fine. I cleaned up all the lines and gauges and re-sealed them. It pumps up to about 120psi. and kicks back on at around 75-80 psi. and it even holds decent pressure over night. So for the price of a belt and some elbow grease and an electrical cord. i have a 2nd air comp. I'm just wondering is it a time bomb ? I don't really care if the pump eventually fails, but what are the chances of the melt down being dangerous ? ? Is it worth changing the pump ? ?

68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 2:53pm
I'd just check the oil frequently and use it.  If the pump loses oil and locks up a relay on the motor should trip.   Add it in to your air system and set one pressure regulator higher than the other and just use it for booster air when sandblasting, painting, or using a high capacity air tool. 
I just got a two-stage pump air compressor from my work (surplus from a client) for 50 bucks that has two separate 3/4 horse motors made to connect to two separate circuits.  It is an Ingersoll-Rand pump on a portable 25 gallon or so tank.  Works great and I'm planning to use it in connection with my other compressor like I described above.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic