TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

aftermarket radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aftermarket radiator
    Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 8:37am
Hey guys I’m new to forms in general and hope this is the right place for this so bear with me, I’m looking for input on a aftermarket radiator for a ‘66 classic 770 on has 232 in it and 3 speed automatic, no A/C.

The factory one was fin until pulled it now every time you turn around it has a new leak.

I don’t know if there’s a size or unit of measure to look for, I’m just after efficiency.

So thank you for any insight.

Elwood
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 11:24am
I use griffin radiators.
they have a gremlin size, so I'm biased
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 11:43am
Champion  makes them also  i have one in my Matador
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 11:58am
Elwood Blues View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 11:05am
thanks guys for all the info it is all truly helpful.

can one of you point me in the direction of a cross over chart... year and model?
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 5:02pm
http://www.rndfabrication.com/

best one you can buy now that Alumitech went out of business

ps, avoid champion/monster cooling
china made,
my first one for maverick(6= years old), ive had great luck with..but I went through 3 in 6 months in my 72 buick...always ended up being the fins leaking/bad cores

mopar guys, always mentioned thiers come warped

plus their 3 row and 4 row Aluminum radiators are a gimmick.. (and problematic)
if you insist going with them due to $$$ their single and 2 row are best bet  
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
Elwood Blues View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 6:23pm
Thank man I’ll have to call them up, I guess as long as it fits almost any rad. would suffice or were AMC's more like Chevy's where there was a certain level of exchangeability, like "power pack heads for a60's 350 Chevy on a late 70's small block 400, for example" side the inexperienced car guy to the internet wink wink
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 1:08pm
If you can fabricate we used a 95 Ford explorer radiator with our 196 in a 62 Classic.
Mounts and hoses were fabricated.  Radiator was about $45 at a pull a part yard.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Elwood Blues Elwood Blues wrote:

Hey guys I’m new to forms in general and hope this is the right place for this so bear with me, I’m looking for input on a aftermarket radiator for a ‘66 classic 770 on has 232 in it and 3 speed automatic, no A/C.

The factory one was fin until pulled it now every time you turn around it has a new leak.

I don’t know if there’s a size or unit of measure to look for, I’m just after efficiency.

So thank you for any insight.

You do not have a radiator shop near you that can repair or record it? The cores are still available I believe. Joe

Elwood
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 7:15am
All AMC cars use basically the same size core width and height wise. After that they were either two or three core. The difference is in the mounting flanges on the sides. They were in different positions to move the radiator closer to or further from the engine fan. In your car if the flanges put the radiator too close to the engine you can mount the radiator to the FRONT of the side supports in the car and use spacers. Might have to take the grille out to make it easier. I did that to move my radiator forward a bit to clear an electric fan. Don't recall anything special to do that.

You can use a Jeep CJ radiator, but it might be a little taller. I mounted a Jeep J-10 radiator in mine recently because I needed a three core and happened to have a good three core J-10 radiator. The J-10 radiator is a bit taller than and AMC car radiator, so I had to modify the bottom of the front crossmember to get the radiator in. See http://theamcforum.com/forum/fsj-jeep-radiator-in-rambler_topic76414.html
Lots of pics, so you might see/read something helpful.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic