TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aftermarket AC for Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket AC for Javelin
    Posted: Mar/28/2019 at 8:11pm
Hi all, I want to add a/c to my Javelin but the only installer I've seen so far can't see where the compressor can be mounted without moving the oil filter from the top of the engine.

I've received sage advice (from Colin Main and Phil Christoff) that there is no need to move it as from the factory the compressor was installed either alongside the oil filter or underneath the power steering reservoir. I have found a couple of photos that show glimpses of both setups but nothing clear.

I was hoping one of you out there may be able to post or send me pics of your setup, how the brackets for the compressor are anchored and also show the shape as the installer will have to make them.

Also, if you have used or can recommend an installer in Melbourne that would be great - I'm in the norther suburbs.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Darren
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2019 at 10:52pm
On top next to the oil filter.
I find it hard to get at the nut behind and under the compressor to tighten the alternator belt.
Two brackets up top.

Pulley set up at end of front bracket.

There is a bolt from bottom side of the compressor into the oil filter- alternator bracket.

Under the P/S pump.

Can't help with installers sorry. ( In Nth Qld. )
I'm very happy the car I am working on at present has no air conditioner !
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
DPS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 2:05am
Many thanks Mostly last! Much appreciated.

Cheers
Darren
DPS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2019 at 5:22pm
Hi everyone (in Melbourne), would still like any recommendations for air con installers.

Thanks
DS
DPS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 11:02pm
Bump - can anyone recommend an air con installer in Melbourne please?

Thanks
DS
amcorphan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcorphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 7:04pm
From late 1972 AMI fitted Nippondenso air-con units. Standard on the 1972 Javelin, and extra cost option on the Matadors. The rotary type compressor mounts just under the power steering pump, and very neatly done. Look for a Matador being parted out and purchase the complete unit with all brackets and fittings.

You could also go with aftermarket vintage air-con, though it would be expensive with labor and fabrication of the necessary mounting brackets.

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 8:29pm
Ask at local cruise-ins and shows.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic