TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aftermarket A/C or original?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalosalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket A/C or original?
    Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 8:56pm
This summer was a beast! My waive would like me to install an A/C unit to keep things cool when we take it out. Does anyone know where to get an aftermarket A/C unit that fits in a 1969 Rambler?

I would like to install it onto my little six banger.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 9:15pm
If you want the car 100% original....original. but good luck on finding all the parts, and R12.

Id go aftermarket. 
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 10:29pm
If you can find the factory compressor bracket, you can then use the adapter bracket to mount a Sanden compressor to it. If you have power steering, you can align the compressor with the p/s pump and use it as the tensioner.

Under dash a/c units can be gotten from any number of suppliers, as can universal condensers, dryers, and hose kits. I literally eBay'd the entire system in my 69 Rambler, with the exception of the factory compressor bracket.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 11:24pm
I recently (june) did this in my 68 American. AFtermarket underdash is the way to go. I've attempted to revive ancient factory in-dash, one time, tried to mix O-ring and flare and all that, found that the expansion valve was bad, evap clogged with dirt, etc and went underdash.

Expect to pay $900 - $1000 for a complete kit. There's an A/C section on this forum, many builds.

Hint: hoes just isn't that expensive, leave them long enough so that you can dropt he underdash unit onto the floor for access to the instrument panel. It'll set you back another $25. 

I abandoned the factory bracket because I didn't have the idler setup and I didn't like it's location, up high on the drivers side blocking everything. I made my own from stock metal and put it down low on the drivers side, which in my car is empty because I hate power steering. That left all the hose routing on that side too, with hoses over to the front left of the radiator for the condenser.

The condenser is the key component! Buy the biggest and best you can fit. There's not a lot of cost diff between minimal and large.

THe hardest part might be finding the right accessory pulley to bolt onto the harmonic balancer. I first used a 7" job I had laying around. Worked great! But even on the freeway you could hear/feel it kick in! Too fast! I replaced it with a 4.5" pulley I had and that's much better. Fiddling with V-belts, PITA, but cheap enough.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2020 at 11:25pm
I have 2 Americans with aftermarket under dash units and they do the job. I like the unit with 45-degree corner outlets better than the one with all straight front outlets. A Sanden type compressor will use a lot less power than an original York. I have had good luck with Nostalgic Air, they let you build a system substituting parts. Get the biggest condenser that will fit. And don’t forget a 6 or 7 blade fan and a shroud.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2020 at 6:07am
A lot of people use an early Mustang type under dash unit in the American, like this:
It's similar to the factory unit in size. You might want to call -- I think they offer this in AC only (no heat).
You might like this one better:
I linked the page with dimensions -- complete kit is $721.

I've used these guys a couple times for various parts. Seem to be better priced than Vintage Aire, about the same quality. Just a smaller company...
Frank Swygert
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2020 at 7:45pm
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic