TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

After 25 yrs its out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After 25 yrs its out!
    Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 6:44pm

Took it out to fix oil leak and check it over, not bad considering, bearings and pistons look great, rings so so, cyl walls have had water so they are junk.
cam /lifters look great, first spring I removed had a broken inner LOL Rods are steel on steel full float and look great, I remember polishing the I beams but these are not, must have been another engine Dead Dont know what to do about the block, gonna have to see if the other block I have will be ok at .030.

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 8:05pm
You'll have her back and running soon, I hope.
How's that Ambo doin'?
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 9:29pm
I wish I was cool enough to have a tunnel ram :)
Good luck with the rebuild!
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 9:57pm
Tony,
How about sleeving the cylinders?  It's about the same as the cost of another block.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 10:30pm
Too many are bad
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 11:02pm
Can do all 8 for about the cost of a really nice block.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 8:19am
I must be blind.  The two shots where you can see the bores, they don't look that bad.  What am I missing?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 9:04am
So Tony, if you don't want to do the sleeves I'll be happy to take it off your hands and sleeve it up back to standard bore and add it to my spare block stash!  Wink  Alternatively I'll be happy to extend my machine shop workdiscount to you which makes it roughly equivalent to the cost of picking up a new block plus the cost of boring it .030 but instead you end up with a standard bore with nice hard cylinder walls that will outlive both of us!

Or maybe even better still, I'll trade you some work on a couple of rear ends (one for racing and the other to conver to a posi) in exchange for doing your block. Whatever works!

Edited by amx39068 - Apr/08/2012 at 9:07am
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 9:16am
Roger mid down on most of the bores are discoloration and pitting  where water sat too long, otherwise the bores look great.

Dan thanks for the offers I was hoping to get by with just rings,bearings etc I would even use the other block I got from you but I think its .035 over after measuring yesterday so well see.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 9:19am

Tony,

I am pretty sure the other one will need to go .040 to get rid of the grooves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic