TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aero vs SS hood scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aero vs SS hood scoop
    Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 1:26pm
Raced this past weekend at the ECNSSA meet at Atco where we used our '69 SS hood for the first time replacing the hood with the Aero-scoop that didn't represent the Nostalgis Super Stock theme.

Using our weather records from the past several seasons it appears the car slowed down about a tenth . I know it's only one outing but it was the only change. I know an awful lot of Stock and Super Stock AMX's are running the SS hood but wonder if they might benefit from a newer Aero type scoop.

What do you think ????

Wayne
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2012 at 5:43pm
don't think you can run an "areo" scoop unless you run GT class...could be wrong,though BUT the areo scoops are buttugly anyway..Sick

67 american 290/4speed
Mr390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 8:44am
I agree with you on the aestetics and realize as well that the Aero scoop isn't accepted on our cars in many classes, but the drop in performance, even as small as it was, was a surprise since the new hood was a good deal lighter than the previos one shown above.

I suspect the Aero scoop's dynamics allow it to distribute more forced air pressure at the carb intake with less turbulance.

I'd be curious to see if the big guns like Adkins or Asdorian would pick up with the Aero. You sure don't see a big wide mouth Mopar style scoop on a pro-stock car.

Bottom line is, I like the old SS scoop on our car and the small trade off can probably be tuned away, and I sure have a lot better forward vision on the track.

Wayne  
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 6:13am
Maybe a taller ss style scoop will work better? 
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 12:26pm
Anyone have access to a wind tunnel ? 
I can see the taller Aero scoop working better due to the air flow over the hood. any test I've seen the best air is a few inches above the hood surface . 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
vjh rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vjh rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:09am
The original SS scoop does look a lot better in my opinion
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 2:54pm
 I know this is an old post but I have spent hours in wind tunnels. Any object that has air flowing around it has what they call a boundary layer. After around 35 mph air moves over a car and does not touch a surface from an inch above the surface. So if you have a spoiler or scoop that has an opening starting at the surface of the hood you are loosing the bottom 1 inch of air flow. So if your opening is 4 inches from the surface of the hood to the top of the opening you only make use of the top 3 inches. Hope this helps.  
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 5:37pm
And I believe the SS scoop is only 3 inches maybe 3 1/2.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 6:01pm
I remember in the old "Bracket Racing" magazine several years ago, they did some tests on aero scoops and determined that they produced no benefit until approximately 200mph. They determined that any power gain was negated by the aerodynamically detrimental aspect of the so-called aero scoop. They were also able to determine that there was actually a low pressure point at the entry of the scoop at speed until they got near the 200mph point. They also experimented with an open-back aero scoop but had problems with the air blowing across the dominators and actually sucking fuel from the venturis at speed. They actually had fuel mist on the windshield.

They were using a quick-16 type door slammer running a 632 big Chief and it was in the early 2000's that I read the story. Sadly, I had just finished my car and had fresh paint on my 10" aero-scooped hood. DOH!

A buddy of mine fought a lean condition in his car that was very similar to the car in the story and was able to determine that his open-back scoop was the cause of the problem.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 10:14pm
 It also depends on the angle it is installed. Here is a little history lesson. Back in 1987 a really good friend of mine named Gene Fasching had a body shop in Winsted, MN. He did a ton of custom and drag cars like Tom Hoovers funnycars and other pro stock cars. He was racing all the altered classes himself and then got into pro stock. That year he was running a 1986 pontiac firebird for Bob Pannela under the Team Strange sponsorship. His dad was heavy into restoring old air planes and Gene loved the look of the little scoop under the P51 mustang. He had a few made localy and fitted his car with one and a new hood. That year he went to the Gatornationals and did first qualifying round with the old style long snorkle. 2nd round he had installed the new scoop and hood. He ran over 3 tenths quicker that round. Obviously he had done some tuning too. He never thought it was a performance enhancer. But evryone was amazed and the first order that day came from Bob Glidden and then Warren Johnson and so on. And theres your history lesson for the day. WAKE UP!!!!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic