TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Advice on install of moser axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 4:42pm
Good info, I brought some Mosers for my factory twin grip 69 Javelin, haven't installed them yet. The TrueTrac centre is going in my Gremlin and I only have factory axles for that, Mosers are not in the budget for that at the moment.

Trouble I have is that I borrowed one of the axles from the ex-Hornet diff that is going in the Gremlin when I spun a hub in the Javelin. Gremlin currently has the smaller diff, so I have a bit of swapping and changing to do.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 9:30am
In one of NAMDRA's newsletters there was an article about a guy who was road racing a humspter in the Midwest. He raced at BlackHawk in IL and Road America iirc. Anyway, he began to have axle issues at some point and swapped in one piece axles. After a while those failed also. He started over again, his end result was to use the AMC20 center section and weld in Ford 9 inch axle tubes and end flanges. Then going to the ford 9 inch axles and making them fit inside an AMC 20 center section or something. I thought it very creative, he utilized the strongest part of Ford's 9 inch axle design and utilized the less HP robbing AMC 20 midsection.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 10:53am
In answer to my earlier question, the TrueTrac centre has nothing in the middle, you can see straight through, so to use the factory 2 piece axles some type of thrust block will need to be added.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 2:24pm
Randy at Performance American Style has this to say:

"These really do drop in. No need to modify anything to install them. There is no need to remove anything from a Twin Grip. You do need to pull your axles and get the total over all length tip to tip of each axle. When they are made the same length as the ones that came out.............why would you need to remove something from the center section??The part they are talking about is commonly referred to as a "button" not all AMC model 20s have them, but if yours does, and your stock axles fit then the ones from Moser will also fit."

So, according to him, if the axles are made to the same dimensions as the stock axles, nothing needs to be removed.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 2:55pm
Did the FSJ 20s use Timken tapered Unit bearings or another similar bearing that takes thrust loads in both directions? If not, then need a thrust block. A standard single row tapered bearing can only take thrust in one direction. Factory car AMC 20s take thrust outwards only, so need a thrust block to transfer inward loads to opposite bearing.

If you are using one-piece shafts with same Set5 bearings as stock, then should fit like stock with the thrust block ... but you would still check to see that endplay is within spec and shim to suit like stock.

If you are using one-piece shafts with aftermarket bearings that take thrust loads in both directions, need to ensure as-assembled there is clearance between ends of shafts and thrust block if it has one still installed.

If you are using factory two-piece shafts and stock single-row tapered bearings with an aftermarket carrier, it needs some form of thrust block to work and shim to stock specs.

I believe the ones Randy sells use either the Green ball bearing (takes thrust loads both directions) or the Timken Set9 unit bearing (also takes thrust loads both directions).

Hope this helps, RD.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 10:59pm
I have a true track carrier and to me it looks like you can just slide the spacer out of an open diff into it and it should float and control end play just fine.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

I have a true track carrier and to me it looks like you can just slide the spacer out of an open diff into it and it should float and control end play just fine.

That is what I was thinking of doing, the other option would be to machine something up to do the job.

I haven't seen a green bearing conversion option for the stock AMC20 axles like I think there is for the old 2 piece Mopar axles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic