TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Advice on install of moser axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on install of moser axles
    Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 9:34pm
Hi all, ordered moser axles for my 1971 AMX javelin, limited slip differential. everything I have read here says I have remove the rub/thrust block from the carrier. My Question is what is involved in doing this and what I have to be careful with. Is there a pin that holds it in? If so is that all it holds? I have searched the forum and have not been able to find any explanation of how it is removed in detail.

Thanks in advance Buster
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 10:18pm
Good question, I need the same answer.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 11:02pm
The two piece twin grip carrier has a small two piece thrust block that you will need to remove the carrier from the rear housing. Then look into the holes the axle go into and you will see that the thrust block is held together by an 1/8 roll pin, drive it out and the block will fall out. Sometimes the roll pin is broken and will fall apart when you pull the axles. A long magnet will retrieve the pieces from the axle tubes without removing the carrier.

The later one piece twin grip thrust block is held in with the spider pin. The pin is held in with two clips on the inside of the carrier. Once the pin is out the block can be fished out
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 11:19pm
The carrier on the right shows the thrust block that needs to be removed. Harder to see is the clip next to the spider gear that needs to be removed to pull the pin. Two clips one on each side
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 11:25pm

this is the two piece carrier thrust block removed from the carrier, sorry I dont have a picture installed in the carrier.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 12:59am
Thanks for the detailed post, more work involved in that than I would have hoped.

Is it worth test fitting the axles first, presumably if there is some clearance you can just leave the thrust block in place?

Next question, I have just ordered a Detroit TrueTrac centre, do I need to run a thrust block of some sort in that if I am using standard 2 piece axles?
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 2:53am
When I installed Henrys Axles in my 70 AMX that has a lefthand thread 4 Pinion TwinGrip I didn't have to remove anything. Are the newer ones different?
We did have to put the backing plates and seals on the axles before pressing the axle bearings on though.
You should have the spring perches reinforced and the axle tubes welded to the center section for any serious housepower use.

Goodluck,

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 6:46am
I don't remember removing the thrust block on the two sets of Moser axle installs I did. I sent my original axles in and they made a set identical in length. Since the originals worked with the thrust block why wouldn't the replacements?

-Steve-

needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 8:22am
The spacers do not need to be removed if the axles are made short enough. If they are not short enough.
You can do one of two things, Take the spacers out or trim the axles to fit with a little space. you don't want the axle butted up to the spacer with no clearance.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jan/05/2016 at 8:33am
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Next question, I have just ordered a Detroit TrueTrac centre, do I need to run a thrust block of some sort in that if I am using standard 2 piece axles?

Stock axle shafts and bearings require the thrust block to transfer axial loads from one side to the other. They use a single tapered roller bearing on each side that only takes axial forces outwards, so needs the thrust block to transfer inward axial forces to opposite side. Don't know if the TrueTrac accommodates the stock thrust block?

On later Mosers, they use Timken Set9 unit bearings, which are slightly smaller OD than stock so not a press fit in the housing, with a pressed on locking ring to hold the bearing on the shaft. The bearings take axial forces in both directions, so they add a spacer between the bearing outer race and the inner seal to take inward axial forces, so need to have clearance to the stock thrust block or remove it.

IMO, the stock setup is superior to the Moser setup for hard cornering, but Mosers are better for drag.

Hope this helps,RD.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic