TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adhesive for '73 AMX hood?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adhesive for '73 AMX hood?
    Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 6:29pm

The fiberglass has delaminated from the metal frame on my hood in several places. Any reccomendations on what to use to bond the two back together?  It looks like the factory used a panel adhesive of some kind.

'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 5:35am
I'm not sure which one to use, but there are some way better than they used back then ones out there.
   You can find them in different strengths and set times to alllow you time to get everything lined up.
   I would either ask at a good local body shop or search some of the online communities that specialize in body work.
   I have a friend that used some of this stuff to adhere carbon fiber to an aluminum frame and it really works good considering all the expansion and contraction going on between carbon fiber and alumium! It's been together for a while now!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 12:37pm
I've heard that windshield urethane works well here, and there are various panel adhesives available now.

Actually, many new vehicles and vehicles that undergo major body repair have their panels adhered with such adhesives. Crazy to think your car's major sheetmetal is just glued on, but it's becoming quite common.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
RB401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 2:22pm

I checked NAPA and they carry 3M panel adhesives.  They claim these adhesives are for installing door skins, body panels and the like and will bond steel to fiberglass.  So, I'll order some.  Should work.

'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
xracer390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xracer390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2007 at 1:22pm
I used the windshield urethane on the 74 we just sold..........worked great
There are those who call me Wagonslayer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic