TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

adding plated parts to alternator/wiper/blower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding plated parts to alternator/wiper/blower
    Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 6:32am
I should be receiving a box of parts that I had sent out a few weeks ago to have plated to check out the finish and services available. I was looking into adding a level of service for those wanting plating as opposed to powder coating, etc.
If the parts all turn out like the pictures I received of the parts that were finished at that time, the top level of work will soon include plating of parts such as fan/pulley on alternators, motor frame and mounting plate on wiper motors and other such parts.
They are supposed to arrive in a couple of days, by end of week I expect, but I want to look them over really well and determine if the quality and look of the plating is what I hope and expect before promising or adding that to the service list. If it is, that will be available as an option very soon.
Obviously this will require a slight price increase for "the works" requests - the $ amount of the plating is yet to be determined - but the other levels of service should remain close to the prices they have been at.
(Some of you have complained that I didn't charge enough....... not sure how to handle those problems, or the fellow who thought I sent him back a show-level alternator for the price of the "just make it look nice" service he had requested. Those problems are a bit tougher to figure out......)

Examples........

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 9:36pm
Very nice touch, Bill, for our cars!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2013 at 6:45am
I know there's a very large range of AMCs and owners to go along with them, from "daily drivers" to excellent, even pristine show cars kept in enclosed trailers to keep them that way, and of course the bigger "in between" range, so I have been trying to find a way to get small numbers of small parts plated economically and yet satisfy my requirements for quality. I may have found a way to make that happen. I'll know in a day or two when the box of sample parts arrives.
I expect good quality as the plater does these in very small batches, at times one part at a time. Nothing should "slip through".
It won't be cheap - I don't have final figures but expect plated parts to add roughly $30 to the cost of each repair/restoration. I'll know more in a few days.

I'm hoping in some very small way to do what I can to help keep AMCs alive and as much "AMC" as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic