TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adding Oil Filter 196.5 1962 rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Oil Filter 196.5 1962 rambler
    Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 11:10pm
Friend passed away and left me his 1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country wagon that he used to drive. 

Going through things before I start it up, I noticed that it had NO OIL filter at all. I see lots of photos of the oil filter mounted on top driver side of engine for the 62 . But I can't find any instructions or information on where to get the parts to add the filter or how to install one. All my search end with filters. 

Anyone have the specs or information on this process. It is a sweet car, all there and lots already done. Just would like to add this as I go through the engine and brakes. When all done going to add coke cooler in the back and a surf board and take a drive to the beach. 

The Engine is  C which I think is the cast iron. 6 cyl 196.5  
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 12:55am
The filter mounting plate show up on eBay from time to time.  That's mounted to the block and intake.  once you have one of those I'm sure one of the forum members could provide how to route the lines from the block to the filter.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 1:01am
I found the by pass filter plates, hoses are simple once I know what size. Just not sure where to attach the in and out lines on the motor itself. 

I saw one guy who machines and whole part and added the bypass down low, seems like a lot of work, just need to know where to tape in the hoses. 

Thanks everyone

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 6:18am
There is a plug near the front of the engine on the main oil gallery -- that lump that runs the length of the engine just above the oil pan on the right (passenger) side, intersects the oil pump, and oil pressure warning light switch is on it near the rear of engine. That is the feed for the oil filter. IIRC it's a 1/8" pipe thread. On the left side there is a plug just above the oil pan near where the dipstick tube goes in. Oil return, IIRC a 3/16" pipe thread. Use brake line in the proper length to reach. You can pick it up at auto parts stores in lengths from 12" to 60" (5'). I'd measure close and get the right length so you don't have to flare the ends. If it's a little long you can be generous on the curves. It's hard to bend tight anyway.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 1:20am
it's not really worth the bother to add the partial-flow. change the fluid often is far more an improvement than that worthless setup. 

do not buy cheap oil! buy the best you can afford. it really matters, no what anyone else says. this engine has inadequate lower-end cooling, and it stresses the oil film. i've measured oil temperature rise and around town it's fine; at modern freeway speeds, flat and level, oil temp skyrockets. 

if you insist on adding the 1050 filter what FARNA says. the filter bracket assemblyhas an inlet and an outlet. get a technical service manual, it's all in there. it is fed from a "T" fitting on the head oil supply line. it drains into the oilpan via a steel line on the drivers side, down low, behind the generator.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 6:34am
I'm not so sure the partial flow filter is worthless. I've torn down several 196 L-head and OHV engines with it and they were in no worse shape than full flow filter engines I've torn down.

Duh, I forgot about the T in the head of the early engines!!! 63+ models go from the side of the block above oil gallery where there is a feed hole from the front cam bearing, all others have a T screwed into the head on the line that feeds the rocker shaft. But it won't hurt to run directly from any plug in the oil gallery. IIRC there is one or two that aren't used.

The cars without filters were intended to use non-detergent oil. With ND oil particles in the oil don't stay suspended when oil stops moving, it settles in the pan. That's the main reason for four point engine mounts and easy to remove crossmembers -- the pan was supposed to come off and be cleaned out every couple years, as that's where the trash settled into a sludge. Detergent oils keep particles suspended so the filter can remove them.

IMO a partial flow filter may only get 25-30% of the oil at any one time, so some particles will flow through the bearings and such, but they will eventually be caught by the filter. So it might be just "better than nothing" when compared to a full flow, but, well, it's still "better than nothing"... Unless you want to run ND oil (I've only seen it in straight 30W recently) and remove the pan every few years I'd run it. Check Tom's site though, it's not terribly hard to mod the pump and use a remote mount filter base (even the old original) and make the filter full-flow. Of course you can't go wrong with good oil and frequent changes. If this is a show car you might not want to worry about the filter, just change the oil every year.
Frank Swygert
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 8:39am
If going through the trouble of adding a filter I would stick an oil cooler inline with it as well. Not too much more effort.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 9:07pm
I would have agreed with Tom j. Until I read and article a few weeks ago by some engineers that said a partial flow oil filtration system like on our AMCs was about 80 per cent as effective as a full flow system. I will look for the reference. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 10:24pm
The lines are steel tubing, not hoses. Goes together like this
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I would have agreed with Tom j. Until I read and article a few weeks ago by some engineers that said a partial flow oil filtration system like on our AMCs was about 80 per cent as effective as a full flow system. I will look for the reference. Joe

really! if that's the case then i'm impressed, and glad to be wrong. i'll take your word for it as-is, though i'd love to see the reference too for completeness. i suppose all of the oil "turns over" many times during operation.

this is why i like measurement and research.

coupled with the vastly improved chemistry of modern oil that would turn this into a no-brainer.

thanks!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic