TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adding AC to a non-AC 73 Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 5:37pm
I know that in the Hornet and Gremlin of that vintage, the big difference is the center HVAC distribution box. The fan housing on the right hand side is similar, with a couple minor differences, but the A/C cars do NOT get an underdash vent on the right side.   The cables are different, the controls are a little different, and the heater control is different.   The '73 and 4 cars have a full flow heater, where the A/C cars have a valve that's vacuum controlled.   When the blend door to the heater section closes, it closes a vacuum switch at the blend door, which closes the heater valve under hood so that it doesn't bleed heat into the A/C system. I have one of each system in each of our Hornets, and there are many differences.

IMHO, best bet would be to grab the HVAC setup from an A/C car (comes out in two pieces) along with the dash controls. Trying to piece and part one would be challenging. Going with an under dash unit might not be a bad idea.

There's a place in Texas that makes the complete R134a replacement for everything under the hood back to the expansion valve inside the car so that you can maintain factory A/C function in an A/C car, and they have solutions for non-A/C cars also.

There's replacement foam kits available for either factory A/C or non A/C cars, so you can rebuild the whole factory HVAC setup if you want.   That's what we did.

Here's the kicker that I didn't really think about when I did the A/C car.   The area where the radio goes is SHALLOW with the A/C setup.   Factory radio territory here, you won't get a CD player into it.   We ended up using a modern USB/Bluetooth head unit that has a million colors available, etc. Half depth unit.   Auto sound makes a modern head unit with the knob controls to look more vintage and it will fit also. Cassette units would be tight in the factory dash with the factory A/C.   The case just takes up that much space.
TVG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Traveller Traveller wrote:

I know that in the Hornet and Gremlin of that vintage, the big difference is the center HVAC distribution box. The fan housing on the right hand side is similar, with a couple minor differences, but the A/C cars do NOT get an underdash vent on the right side.   The cables are different, the controls are a little different, and the heater control is different.   The '73 and 4 cars have a full flow heater, where the A/C cars have a valve that's vacuum controlled.   When the blend door to the heater section closes, it closes a vacuum switch at the blend door, which closes the heater valve under hood so that it doesn't bleed heat into the A/C system. I have one of each system in each of our Hornets, and there are many differences.

--- ~~ ---

Here's the kicker that I didn't really think about when I did the A/C car.   The area where the radio goes is SHALLOW with the A/C setup.   Factory radio territory here, you won't get a CD player into it.   We ended up using a modern USB/Bluetooth head unit that has a million colors available, etc. Half depth unit.   Auto sound makes a modern head unit with the knob controls to look more vintage and it will fit also. Cassette units would be tight in the factory dash with the factory A/C.   The case just takes up that much space.

Funny!!! I forgot about the "blend door". In winter when the heat was on I would hear a noise under the dash when I hit about 50 mph and I would reach down under the tray in front of the passenger and close the door. Otherwise the heat would be gone.... Something was wrong with it but I could fix it on the fly. That was what a high schooler does!

-- ~~ --

I already have one of those half depth stereos with the adjustable shafts that will fit perfectly. It will look better then the one I had in 79 when I had to cut the dash to make it fit.

Thanks,

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic