TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adding AC to a non-AC 73 Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding AC to a non-AC 73 Hornet
    Posted: Jul/09/2016 at 11:38pm
I would like to add something close to factory AC to my (V8 304) Hornet. I've looked at the "universal" under the dash systems that will work, but would like to find something that will appear to be factory.

Since my car was missing the tray, I bought the correct AC under dash tray for my hornet and just need to add all of the other pieces to it.

Since it is a bit difficult to find original AMC parts.... Has anyone tried to fit a Jeep heater/AC unit into their AMC?

Tom
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 11:59am
hi, best bet would be to find a donor AMC, like a Spirit/Concord/Eagle, that is too far gone to save, and swap parts from it. But,...and this is just my opinion, why would you even want to add AC? We used to live in IL(Yorkville), and it's only really hot there for what, 3, 4 months? Unless this is a daily driver, that you need to get to the office cool and composed in, AC is just a really unnecessary complication under the hood. it's in the way of EVERYTHING! Here in the South, most cars from the 70s + have AC, and I hate it! I actually look for cars that DONT have AC, much more of a pleasure to work on and even drive. Simplicity IS a virtue! i remember going to a salvage yard in Sandwich, IL, and seeing an Eagle w/o AC, first and last time I ever saw this, I was thrilled! Grabbed the non AC alternator bracket.
Having said all that, I also have a Hornet, a 77 AMX 258 4spd, and , yes, it has AC, which I am in the middle of restifying right now, easily an extra $1-2k, which I wish I didn't have to spend,  (Just two hoses and the drier rebuilt are about $400 from the AC place in FL) but the wife wants to be cool......so? And, hey, this is the SOUTH! Hot, hot, hot.
Anyway, good luck, gz
george z
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 7:46pm
Since we're only about two weeks away from the Rockford National I'd suggest going there to the swap meet. Better yet, put an ad in the wanted section here and see if someone will bring the parts you need to Rockford for you.  It's a good opportunity to save on freight charges.

I picked up most of what I needed for my AMX at the Kenosha swap meet in 2014.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 8:29pm
I have been parting out a 79 amx that had ac,has few parts left might be able to help with few things if they are the same,
TVG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

But,...and this is just my opinion, why would you even want to add AC? We used to live in IL(Yorkville), and it's only really hot there for what, 3, 4 months?

I remember going to a salvage yard in Sandwich, IL, and seeing an Eagle w/o AC, first and last time I ever saw this, I was thrilled! Grabbed the non AC alternator bracket.

I have a house in SWFL as well and am now spending 6 months or less in IL. I would like to start putting AC in all of my cars so when I go to FL, I can take any car I want without sweating to the oldies.

I'm going to look up that salvage yard in Sandwich. All the yards around here don't seem to have anything older than 15 years or so.
TVG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Since we're only about two weeks away from the Rockford National I'd suggest going there to the swap meet. Better yet, put an ad in the wanted section here and see if someone will bring the parts you need to Rockford for you.  It's a good opportunity to save on freight charges.

I picked up most of what I needed for my AMX at the Kenosha swap meet in 2014.

Good idea. I'm going to make a post there now!
TVG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by partsguy partsguy wrote:

I have been parting out a 79 amx that had ac,has few parts left might be able to help with few things if they are the same,

What do you have left? Also, are you going to Rockford?
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 1:50pm
Going for an evening cruise or traveling to a car show is much more enjoyable when you aren't fried all the way there and all the way home.
High humidity wreaks havoc with my demeanor.
I will never regret putting factory behind the dash AC in the White70Javelin.
I'm not real familiar with AMC I6 cars and AC, however the AMC V8 Javelins with AC are not more difficult to work on than a non AC V8 car.
If I look under the hood of a lot of other 70s cars (like GM), yeah they hung a lot of stuff in the way under the hood, AMC not so much.
just my opinion.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 2:27pm
no Rockford to far for me,but I do have the heater box,under dash tray,car had a 6 cyl,might have few under hood pieces
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 5:06pm
I love AC, if a car does not have it at this point in time I don't want it.
That said, finding the parts to put OEM A/C is almost impossible to do as one way or another they were plumbed into the existing duct work to make them work as heat and AC. After market AC is self contained and recirculates cabin air through it. There are many types and price but they in general will hang under the dash. That means the under dash tray is a kiss off. The advantage of aftermarket a/c is that they are fully self contained. They are in a box and hang there and if you check around you can find one that looks period correct for an add on. The hard part is finding A/C parts to hang on to the engine. Specially since you have a 73 which has the alternator on a different side. The best bet would be to find an A/C equipped something I-6 car and get as much off of the engine as you can in order to hang an AC unit off of the engine. Use and adapter for the compressor to put a new compressor on and you will need to add another pulley probably to the front of the crank shaft. Trying to solve that could be the hardest part of it all.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic