TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Accelerator Linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschweitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accelerator Linkage
    Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 5:55pm
I have a 1968 Javelin that I am installing a 1978 360/727 into. Edelbrock Performer (non EGR and correct for the '78) intake and a Edelbrock 600cfm carb. In an attempt to use the stock accelerator linkage, it appears that when using the '68 parts, the cross rod between the two mounting brackets sits too high and to far back (close to firewall. Before I go fabricating a new bracket, I was wondering if anyone else has done this and someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Jim
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 11:20pm
I installed a v8 in my 65 American instead of using the old peddle assembly I used a gas peddle with the cable from a 80's ford mustang it has a return spring built on to the cable and used the stock bracket off the 290 motor worked very well
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 7:41am
I used a Chevy S10 pedal and a Lokar cable on my Rogue 360/727. If a motor mount breaks a linkage is more subject to sticking wide open than a cable, so I always use a cable.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 7:48am
Save your self some time and aggravation by using the Lokar throttle linkage. I also use the combination throttle and kickdown linkage bracket ( TCB-40DQ) which bolts nicely to the Edelbrock carb and gets rid of the ugly factory KD linkage. The 3 pieces arent cheap but look good and are way better than stock
jschweitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschweitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 8:03pm
Thank you for the input. I'll be ordering parts soon.
jschweitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschweitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 8:19pm
Sorry to revisit but I neglected one important piece (which I discovered this evening. The car is an AC car and the original linkage mounting bracket has a switch mounted to it. The actuates at WOT and I believe the switch turns the AC clutch off. Is there a different setup on other years that could be adapted?
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 6:37pm
I believe that switch is an automatic transmission kick-down switch.
Mike
jschweitz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschweitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:45pm
Ahhh. Yes it is. Missed that on the wiring diagram. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic