TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Accel coil quesion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accel coil quesion
    Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:29am
Buddy brought me his 74 AMX last night to look at.  Quit on him last fall on the way home from a cruise.  About a 1/4 mile from his house just shut off like he had turned the key off.  Cranks fine, won't fire.  Haven't gotten real deep into troubleshooting it just yet other than to determine it doesn't have any spark.  My question, since I'm not to familiar with the aftermarket coils, is it has an Accel coil with what looks like a ballast resistor mounted on the coil bracket that the feed to the distributor goes thru.  I'm guessing this resistor could have gone bad, any way to check it? 
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:51am
You can test with an OHM meter to see if it's open.  It wont hurt the coil to run the engine a short time with it bypassed.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Rogue343 Rogue343 wrote:

Buddy brought me his 74 AMX last night to look at.  Quit on him last fall on the way home from a cruise.  About a 1/4 mile from his house just shut off like he had turned the key off.  Cranks fine, won't fire.  Haven't gotten real deep into troubleshooting it just yet other than to determine it doesn't have any spark.  My question, since I'm not to familiar with the aftermarket coils, is it has an Accel coil with what looks like a ballast resistor mounted on the coil bracket that the feed to the distributor goes thru.  I'm guessing this resistor could have gone bad, any way to check it? 

Simplist way is to remove the resistor's connection to the coil. Make a connection with the resistor's wire for the coil with a test light or automotive bulb, being grounded. It should be fairly bright, not too dim or out when ignition is on.

To test the coil, reconnect the resistor back on the coil, and disconnect the distributor lead and coil wire to distributor cap, and test the by connecting to the coil - teminal. It should be the same as for the resistor test, fairly bright.

Edited by 304-dude - May/15/2019 at 9:03am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 5:25pm
What distributor? Stock points or electronic?
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 7:57am
Stock distributor with points and condensor.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:10am
Are the points opening and closing as the engine cranks?

Disconnect the condenser and try running the car - it will run without the condenser, but will burn the points if continued for an extended period of time. If it runs without the condenser, but not with it, the condenser is shorted - replace it. Don't assume it's good because it's brand new.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:27am
I kind of suspect the condensor as well.  I know they are notorious for taking a sh!t with no warning.  Checked the coil and ballast per 304dude's info and they checked out.  Got power to the points as well.  Points opening and closing as well.  Pulled the dizzy last night with the intent of replacing points/condensor both.  Easier to do it out of the car.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic