TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AC parts - work in 73???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC parts - work in 73???
    Posted: May/27/2018 at 6:49pm
I picked up a NEW still in the box Sanden compressor, some hoses, brackets and wiring kit.
It's all for JEEP -  86 Wagoneer. 
Now the question - if this happens to be for a V8 Wagoneer (did they ever do one with a 258??) if it's for a V8 would it fit a 73 360? 
I have to bet that even if the setup is for an 86 Jeep with a 360 that the brackets and all are vastly different, but thought I'd ask.......

Then the other thing - if it would fit, I'm torn about adding AC to the 73............
At least with these parts all I'd need would be all the dash stuff, the heater/AC evap box and evap, and condenser, etc...............

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 7:34pm
Tag says 86 XJ Compressor Mounting Kit

the XJ is the code for the downsized Cherokee/Wagoneer,
86' would either be for a Chevy 2.8L V6,
or the AMC L4 150.

Hopefully someone can do a part number search to be certain,
but that seems like the description is for the downsized Jeep to me.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 8:06pm
There is also a check list of parts in one of the boxes - sort of an inspection checklist i suppose to be sure all the parts got in there ok. 
I'll have to check it out. 
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 5:51am
The 89 full sized Wagoneer used a Sanden set up.  You would all all the brackets and pulleys for the Javelin.
I'll check out my one set up and get photos for you.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 6:39am
Bill....

1st...Wagoneer term was used loosely in the mid 80's.....it was used on both the Cherokee and old J Series Chassis.  Since that box says XJ Wagoneer, I doubt much if any will fit.

2nd...Changing a 73 Jav to air from non-air car......I have done it and it is a ton of work and uses a lot of parts.  The crash pad and dash overlay are different too.....you basically have to gut the dash back out.  You can easily drop $1500 plus doing it right...rebuilt dryer, new condenser, compressor, and hoses alone are near $1K for new.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 6:39am
I have two boxes of "stuff".
One box has a NEW compressor electric clutch setup, a set of mounting brackets for a compressor and some hoses
The other box has the NOS Sanden compressor, a couple of hoses, wiring and relay kit/harness, a bag of all sorts of bolts long and short, idler pulleys, two belts and a half dozen various mounting brackets.
The box says "Sanden compressor mounting kit" - and that explains the compressor, compressor mounting brackets, idler pulleys and bag of bolts..
It looks to me like two sets of brackets (there's easily a half dozen brackets in each box so likely duplicates from two kits)
Not sure what the big clutch setup is for - looks like a clutch/pulley setup for larger style compressor with two pulleys. You can see it in one of the photos.
You can also see the bag of bolts, spacers, etc. in a photo.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 9:08am
I have a 1991 360 out of a Grand waggoneer.......................I bought the engine out of a Junkyard. the accessories and belts are still on it....  I cannot post pictures on this, but I can send pictures on my cell phone...It has the sanden compressor, and the stock brackets for a reference..   
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 12:39pm
I emptied out both boxes and found there are two full sets of brackets, a third set missing one part, two pair of hoses, a large clutch/pulley that looks more like the older style (never been installed, still in a worn out falling apart box but the clutch and pulley setup is very much new)
So there's a good new clutch for the larger old compressors - NOS, the brackets, idle-up kit as it's called on the bag, and a NOS Sanden compressor.
At the very bottom of one of the boxes was the instruction sheet - 
XJ Wagoneer and Cherokee "4"
is what is says.
So it's for an XJ (and although PEOPLE may have used the term loosely, AMC did not because XJ, ZJ and so on are pretty specific in a given year - it HAS to be for the tech manuals, wiring and such. People abuse the term, AMC used them for specific models based off a specific platform or chassis. So that means the Wagoneer and Cherokee are the same platform and AMC calls it XJ

Anyway, the compressor is NOS and is IDENTICAL in every single way to the compressor used by EAGLE from 81 or 82 onward. 1980 Eagle used the big box compressor, 82 Eagle used the Sanden compressor. I held the NOS compressor up to a 1982 Eagle 258 compressor and they'd interchange exactly - except the spacing between the two pulley "grooves".
The Eagle pulley belt spots are further apart than those on the pulley on the NOS compressor. 
Otherwise, what I have is a NOS Sanden that would likely work on several things, including 1982 Eagle by changing the pulley, but the brackets are for the 4.
Hoses would likely work on many years and models because other than possible length, seriously they all simply connect the compressor to the condenser coil or line coming from the cabin. 
In other words, the compressor could be used with different brackets and the hoses could likely work.

Otherwise, I have a NOS AC compressor bracket for Javelin V8 big box compressor.
I guess either way I'd go, I either have a NOS bracket, or I have a NOS compressor.

I understand about all the dash stuff that needs to be changed or swapped and in many ways, I say who the heck cares because my dash was TRASH anyway and most the parts still need to be replaced.
As I find better parts I'll be doing what I've done with my Eagle - keep swapping in better parts as I find them, so it's a given this dash WILL come apart again, and maybe again after that. 

I know what's involved as far as work - it's the parts that are the issue. 
I know there are AC outlets under the radio, to the left of the cluster, to the right side of the radio area pointing at the passenger, etc. - and I have the "duct" and a couple of outlets. 

So what I'd need are the brackets to use a Sanden on a 360, or the big compressor to put onto a NOS AC compressor engine bracket. 
The big Javelins are 100 times easier to work on and in than any Eagle, period. 

The parts are my concern. Anyone who has seen what I did with my baby Eagle - and even this 73 thus far, knows I don't shy from the impossible.  Wink

Anyway, I have more than two full sets of NOS Jeep compressor bracket sets......... if anyone has a 4 cyl XJ.......

Edited by billd - May/28/2018 at 12:44pm
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 12:48pm
Personally I like the cast Jeep bracket if your not going for the "stock" look. Only problem is they seem to be hard to come by anymore.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

The 89 full sized Wagoneer used a Sanden set up.  You would all all the brackets and pulleys for the Javelin.
I'll check out my one set up and get photos for you.

the compressor is identical to the compressor used on Eagle in 1982 except for the pulley -the belt spacing between "grooves" is different otherwise the compressor is identical.
So in short, the brackets I have won't work but the compressor is BRAND NEW and could work, depending on belt spacing.
Getting a NOS sanden still in the box isn't a bad deal even if none of the brackets will work.  Hoses may well work because all they do is connect things so if they are long enough, etc. even one or two of the hoses may work.

Or............ I have a NOS compressor bracket that is correct for a 1973 but would need compressor.

Like my wife said "since the only times you drive these cars are when it's hot and humid, you may as well start collecting parts".. 
In other words, I can't but it all at once but have her blessing and even "suggestion" that I do it as long as I spread out the purchases. That means if I find a bunch of stuff from a Javelin in Auburn, I'll be looking at it...............

For two days the Javelins have had to sit because it's ONE HUNDRED DEGREES and the humidity is horrible.

One can make things work if they want to.......... note the one line was "reshaped" or bent to be straight, fitting welded in place and the Jeep compressor line stub welded to the original AMC hose......
and to this day it blows cold air.

The ONLY new part in all of this Eagle setup below is the receiver/dryer! Otherwise, it's all original Jeep and AMC Eagle. One single new part. Compressor is 1994 and all of the rest is original 1982 Eagle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic