TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A Toast to the AMC Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 2:39pm
I'm really impressed with the 232 in my 1977 Hornet. It's the first non-4.0L inline six I've ever owned, and it honestly impresses me with its performance. Even with emission controls it runs really good. I would not have expected a 1bbl carbureted inline-6 to run and perform as well as it does.

I wouldn't call it impressive acceleration, it does a 1/4 mile in about 19 seconds, but that's the 2.73 axle ratio talking. It'll still peg-leg it from stoplights, which I find really impressive for a six with an automatic and that gearing. It really shines on the highway. It LOVES 70-80 MPH and will do it all day long, only about 1/2 throttle. I've coaxed it up to 105 MPH a couple times, but that's about all she's got. It's the best running carbureted engine I've ever seen, and never stalls, bogs, or hesitates, even when its cold.

Honestly its performance is about on-par with my 360 V8 Wagoneer.  

Like I said, I wouldn't call it high performance, but it's good, average performance. Average back then, and fairly average today. More importantly: its a good, solid running reliable engine. It's smooth and does its job.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 12:11am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

i'll just leave this here

Oh man that is lovely! The craftsmanship of the engine bay is fantastic.. like it was ALMOST that way stock from the factory! The fit and finish is the best part in my book.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 12:35pm
Stopped for gas on my way to work this morning.  Car took 7.8 gallons.  Since I keep forgetting to track my mileage, I hopped on google last night and looked up the distances to all of the places I drove the car to last week.  I did not make any deviations driving to and from those locations.  Went straight there and straight home.  All total 167 miles.  Divide that by the 7.8 gallons of gas and you are left with  21.41 mpg.

Now, I'm pretty sure I may have shoved a half gallon more in the tank this morning then I did when I filled it last Friday (hadn't expected it to take so little so I kinda tried adding more).  If that be the case, then the car went the 167 miles on 7.3 gallons of gas and that equates to 22.87 mpg.  So, on average my Rambler is getting just a touch over 22 mpg.  Not too shabby!  Especially when it's running Lunati's 10680700 cam (208/213@.050, 112lsa, .484 lift), an Offy DP and a 500cfm Carter AFB, backed by a stock air cooled BW and a 3.08 rear.  I drive on roads that have posted speed limits of 55, 60 and 65 mph.  
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 1:14pm
Not too shabby.

Mine does about 20 MPG whether its around town, or on the interstate at 70-80 MPH. It'll hit 22-25 MPG if I keep it at a steady 55-60 MPH, but I don't ever drive like that because the last thing I want is to be that stereotypical "slow old car" on the road. I always do the speed limit.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 7:54pm
Hi, still, about one year later, into my 84 Eagle Sedan rebuild, finally got all the bugs out , remember, went back to STOCK 84 engine controls, not easy or cheap. Anyway, finally trust the car as a DD again. Haven't been on a long trip with it yet, but around town, to work and back every day, 20 stoplights in 8 miles, am getting an honest 15 mpg. Not great by modern standards, but I'll take it. Car is MUCH faster than it was, (Comp Cam), and a pleasure to drive. Eagles are heavy cars for their size these days, real steel!(roughly 3400 lbs for my sedan). Maybe on the Interstate I can get 18-21 mpg.
Btw, also have a 79 Spirit D/L with the 232/1bbl YF/904, bone stock, only about 51K on it. I will agree that it starts first crank, runs smooth, runs great on level roads, but does NOT like hills in any shape or form. 90-100 hp will only do so much, even in a light car.
good day, gentlemen, gz
george z
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 3:03am
my dad is a fanatic about gas mileage in are americans all those 6s would get 20 to 22 mpg  all the time very good engine except for  top end oil issues did many back yard rebiulds on them and hey still ran smooth as silk many 100000 mile cars till we scraped them for rust issues
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 8:21pm
Well, my dumb self looked too quickly at google maps last week when I was looking up mileage.  I accidentally looked at the travel time (in minutes).  So, needless to say, my Rambler is NOT getting 22 MPG.  It is, however, getting 18.5 which is still respectable for a cammed, 4bbl, 3 speed auto car running 60MPH.  Probably going to build one of the V8s I have, put it in the Javelin and take the T5 set up I have in it and bolt it behind the 232 in the Rambler.  It's all set up for the early I6.  Might as well use it.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 8:03am
I have never checked the gas mileage on my Spirit which I built and put on the road in 19999. Frankly with the increased performance it is just flat too much fun to drive to get a real gas mileage estimate.
I did track it going to LA on one trip at 18 MPG. However it was against the notorious head wind and cruising along at well over the posted speed limit and running a/c. I found 18 mpg to be acceptable. The Spirit has the aerodynamics of a barn. I would have picked another body to build if fuel economy was a priority.
The way I look at fuel economy as an improvement on American I-6 engines, is simply they are so under power configured you have to flog one to get it to move and that is not any good for fuel economy.
Once performance additives take place it become so efficient that performance is a definite improvement and thus so is fuel economy.
But and there is always a but. The 1980 AMX which has been carefully kept at bone stock achieved close to 30MPG on a road trip to N. M. how ever it had a tail wind on I-40 which is mostly sort of down hill. And it hated big hills. OEM configures it so lean it hardly has the power to pull a 7% grade But if you keep your foot out of it the thing will get really food economy.
However comparing it to my 2015 Dodge Caravan with 3.5 L V6 or about 200 cu in. and about 305 HP from the factory. The van has the aerodynamics of a Brick and is large. But will easily give 24 mpg at freeway speeds with both A/C/s running. The engineering on the engine in it is first grade all the way.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 8:32am
My '83 Eagle has 332,000 miles on the original engine, second (probably) clutch..
I am the 3rd owner..   It will still get 25 on the highway, but only if I keep it at 50-55      Lots of blow-by, totally worn out, but still has great oil pressure...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic