TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A Toast to the AMC Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 7:36pm
I had a 199 in my 69 Rambler.  Pulled it for a 360 project.  But I really like the 6's.  All you guys with 6's, should I keep it for others or do most prefer the 232?  If no one uses the 199 much, I'll probably take it down to the local parts yard.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

I had a 199 in my 69 Rambler.  Pulled it for a 360 project.  But I really like the 6's.  All you guys with 6's, should I keep it for others or do most prefer the 232?  If no one uses the 199 much, I'll probably take it down to the local parts yard.

I WANT THAT 199!! i want a *199*, not a 232 or 258... where are you? i'm in Los Angeles. i have a trailer... i'll come get if you aren't too too far from me...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 8:03pm
i think most do want the largest displacement, plain and simple. i'm happy messing around with 200 cubic inches. and i've got a 199 crank left from the Barney Navarro indy car project, cherry picked and balanced for over 6000 rpm. i wanna do stupid fun things to a 199, "soon".

on all engines, something fails first. but the AMC six just seems to wear out fairly evenly. some minor issues in the earlier years (the top end oiling that went past the headbolt) that were hardly fatal, just occasionally annoying. the 195.6 had serious head (and oiling) problems, and i think because of the experience AMC had with that, and their limited resources, and probably, a boon after the recent merger, really spent the time to DO IT RIGHT. the damn thing lasted 40 years, if you include the 4.0 conversion. i think only the chevy 350 v8 is longer than that.

the only thing i hear about the AMC v8's as a problem is the timing cover oil pump housing, wear in the soft casting. given enough decades stuff like that arises. but that sounds quite fixable.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 9:13pm
The only stupid fun I can think of with the 199 is a balanced crank in a bigger bore block with twin turbos. This version of the L6 can actually cycle up fast enough to make GREAT use of them.Redline should be 8K.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 2:59pm
apparently there's an inherent resonance around 6200, according to lore and words from barney navarro. get it above that speed and it's OK and you're right.

and yes bigger bores on that short stroke!

amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

apparently there's an inherent resonance around 6200, according to lore and words from barney navarro. get it above that speed and it's OK and you're right.

and yes bigger bores on that short stroke!
                            IIRC the harmonic issue was at 5500 5600.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

IIRC the harmonic issue was at 5500 5600.

ahh, thanks for the correction. the fallibility of memory!

bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 7:12am

Only one I've killed.

My current. Dam good engines
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 7:29am
I find it interesting that when I talk to non-AMC fans that owned AMC's, very few of them gush about the V8's.  But the sixes?  I had a guy just yesterday telling me his Hornet never failed to start in the winter (no mean feat in ND), had good power, good mileage, on and on.  He hasn't been the first and I doubt he'll be the last.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 8:58am
Well I considered myself lucky to have been offered an early bolt pattern 232 to replace the 196. It sure wasn't without problems though but I know they had been caused by neglect on the part of the original aged owners. Anyway, it is on its second life now in the 64 Classic, which would have had this engine since new had they had enough of them to go around. I don't recommend it but I thought with its 2 barrel carb and Petronix ignition I would see if it would hold together in neutral with foot to floor. She revved and screamed but didn't seem to mind it a bit. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic