TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A Different type of oil question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Different type of oil question
    Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:22pm
A friend of mine is a big time oil can collector....He has decided to drain all his can`s...he put all the same weights together in sealed containers and labeled them and put them aside for me.....Does oil go bad??? i know the rating`s change as years go on...All the oil came from sealed METAL can`s not cardboard cans...Whats everyone`s thoughts???
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:39pm
Mixing them together pretty much created a mess as far as viscosity and weight rating. 

Go bad though...  Not persay.  It might break down a little, but that's about it by my understanding.

Overall, you're better off with new oil for daily use though.  The additive packages have gotten so much better it's not even funny.  That's why oil manufacturers are advertising longer times between oil changes. 

Side Rant; I don't buy that increased time interval.  Oil still gets unburned fuel and combustion contaminates in it.  Piston rings aren't air tight after all.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd set the old oil aside for working on or testing an engine before you've fixed all the leaks.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:47pm
I'd have no problems with using that in a legacy vehicle.
Your clue - which may have been missed or misunderstood - 
>>he put all the same weights together in sealed containers<<
In other words he didn't mix viscosity but kept the same weights together, simply repackaged them.

Oil does not go bad. 
And - look at it this way, if it was good enough for these cars when it was new and the cars were new, why would it not be good enough today?
i'd stick with a reasonable oil change interval such as suggested in the owner manuals with these old cars.
But it's like saying "can't use oil from 1970 in a 1969 car because new oil is better"
That means it wasn't good enough back then because they were working on better oils in the future?
So stop using today's oil because we know there will be better oil for our 2018 cars in ten years........
Naw - why would I not use oil that was new and good enough to keep your warranty intact when the car was running back then?
Has your 1970 car changed?
I'd use it - send it my way. 

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 12:23am
Yeah, I misread the oil being properly separated by weight.  Annoyed at myself there too, as it's happened a few times lately.

Still going to have to respectfully disagree with yah though, Bill.  Yeah, it's "good enough", technically.  HOWEVER... oil has improved ALOT over the past 40 years.  Why not use something that's going to provide better wear protection?

Yeah, the old stuff is "free" so money is saved in the short term.  But does it balance out in the long term in regards to increased wear and tear on the engine (and the associated costs)?  I guess the true answer is how many oil changes worth of oil we're talking.  1 or 2, I might use the old stuff too.  Run it indefinitely though, nah.

Sometimes, the newer stuff is worth it.  Radial tires are safer than bias ply ones for example.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 5:38am
I guess it depends on how much oil it is,
there are always lesser uses for nice clean new oil, if you didn't want to put it in your car,
there's always the lawnmower, snow blower, use as chainsaw blade oil, etc,
some of the older stuff is even good as gear oil replacements in the right application.

Then there's engine assembly lube, oil bath air cleaners, I like non-detergent for air comoressors, but there's 1000 uses for nice clean new oil, even if you don't trust exactly where it came from.

Now, if it's labeled as to what it is,
and not too much of a witches brew of different types/brands & base stocks (even if the weights are all the same),
theb yes I would run it in any specification correct application.

= might not a good idea to run really old spec oil in something with a cataylist,
but if you have old vehicles kicking around like I do,
they need oil changes too Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 3:58pm
I would use it in my lawn mower. I would not risk ruining a very expensive car engine to save $10 on buying new oil.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 6:42pm
Think of what you are suggesting - that when we had our cars back in 1970, this oil wasn't good enough?
Here's a list showing how that exact same oil damaged and ruined engines and caused me losses - 
First car Rambler with 287 - parked with drive train issues by kid I sold it to after 220,000 miles on original untouched engine,
Second car - Javelin - sold to my brother with about 90,000 miles - he then sold it to another fellow when it had 120,000 miles on it.
AMX - traded in for an Eagle when it had just shy of 90,000 miles. It went to Denver, drove around the Rockies a bit, was a daily driver commuting to work car for years.
Chevy pickup with 350 - traded with 100,000 miles on it, all original. It was a FARM truck, hauled anhydrous tanks into the field, hauled a big flatbed trailer with antique engines and antique engines to shows around the state. Was used hard.
I could go on - but to suggest that the oil could do damage boggles the mind - it's just not logical. 
People are suggesting that the oil I grew up with and which got my engines into high-miles, some crazy high miles, is not worth using?
Granted, today's oil is better in a lot of ways - but that doesn't mean yesterday's oil will damage your engine. 
How will it damage an engine? I'd love an explanation since I proved it didn't damage any of mine. 
Every car I listed above was sold or traded with an UNTOUCHED engine - none of them had ever had so much as a valve job, let alone any oiling or ring issues. None used or burned oil outside of the norm for that time period. Oil changes were done at regular 2,000 mile intervals. 
So you all are suggesting if i get that oil and use it in any of my three AMCs, I will risk destroying them?
And yet I drove all those cars all of those miles with no engine problems ever?

Save $10? Have you priced oil, even at Walmart, lately?

Sorry, send that oil to me and I WILL use it. In cars.
Unless it's been left in open containers where dust and dirt and moisture could get in........... 

BTW - today's modern lawn mowers spec some pretty good oil these days.......  Those Kawasaki engines have some tight tolerances and run some pretty good RPM and loads.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 9:04pm
No oil is worth anything if you dont change it. Change it like you should and the engine should last.....
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

No oil is worth anything if you dont change it. Change it like you should and the engine should last.....

Truer words were never spoken. LOL - no kidding. 

For my Rambler Classic (with 220,000 miles), Javelin (120,000) Ambo wagon with 343 (I forgot about that one, that car was beat on hard), and my first truck (a 67 Chevy) I used K-M Blue Velvet 10w40 exclusively.
The  when I bought my AMXs, and later cars, it was Havoline 10w40
Oil changes were typically every 2,000 miles, sometimes a bit over but usually not over about 2500.
If there was Kerr-McGee oil around here, Blue Velvet, I might still be using it - I also really liked Havoline as that's what my second shop boss loved and recommended. 
If I could find a case of either of those - I'd take 'em and use 'em.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 4:13pm
Bill, You do know it is no longer 1970, & the oil in question is no longer new, it is 50 + years old probably much older, don't you? Sure 1970 vintage oil was fine in a 1970 engine, when it WAS 1970. Who knows how it has been stored all those years, what brand it is, detergent or non detergent, what API classification it is. Sure, all the same viscosities are mixed together, I get that.

All those engine you list that went many miles.... Did they do it on oil that was 40+ years old, or was it new oil??

You're welcome to use the mystery mix oil in an expensive engine if you like, it is not a risk I'll take.

I'll stick a crowbar in my wallet & pry out the $10 it takes to buy 5 quarts of new motor oil in my area, rather than take a chance.

Amsoil says 5 year shelf life for oil:https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/Other/TSB OT-2005-11-21 Storage and Handling.pdf

More reading for you:https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/motor-oil-shelf-life

Edited by scott - Apr/26/2018 at 6:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic