TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A couple points from the 232 SAE Paper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 8:50pm
I wonder just how much effort they would have expended on a intake somewhat like a slant six,  there was no chance of getting a intake even remotely that long on any chassis made by AMC in that era.

The only way Chrysler fits it in is because the engine in leaned over 45 degrees the opposite way to make room for those long intake runners.  

Maybe someone should read the SAE paper on the slant 6.   I bet it sounds pretty impressive too.

Would you really expect the engineers to imply they developed something less than the best.

Edited by tyrodtom - Mar/26/2017 at 8:53pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I wonder just how much effort they would have expended on a intake somewhat like a slant six,  there was no chance of getting a intake even remotely that long on any chassis made by AMC in that era.

The only way Chrysler fits it in is because the engine in leaned over 45 degrees the opposite way to make room for those long intake runners.  

Maybe someone should read the SAE paper on the slant 6.   I bet it sounds pretty impressive too.

Would you really expect the engineers to imply they developed something less than the best.
The slant 6 ran very well. the 2 big drawbacks was 5 main bearings, and the biggest size was 225.  but Chrysler must not have thought those were drawbacks....

I would agree with with this statement..."Would you really expect the engineers to imply they developed something less than the best" 
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:30pm
I kinda think Chrysler had a pretty good idea what they had.

Hyperpac Slant Six

That's one of the in line six engines I have built. It would pull a full size Plymouth 2drht down the road at 105 mph which wasn't too shabby. Get over 20 mpg on road trips and proved to be reliable and bloody quick. And with a .100 over bore it came out to be 239 cu in.
I had 13:1 compression on it but it ran well with 101 octane Sunoco 260 or Hess premium.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 11:50pm
yeah, it's true that all the papers on new engines of course makes them sound just great. now that it's been 50 years! lol, we can tally up the problems with the 232. all fairly minor engineering problems, all got fixed afaik. the top-end lube via the middle bolt, changing rocker systems. it's long. etc. something always fails first, and for the most part, 232's just "wear out" fairly evenly (unlike the un-beloved 195.6 OHV that fairly routinely has head cooling and sealing issues, etc.

but when the engine was still new, Barney Navarro apparently surveyed all of the production passenger car engines and said that the AMC 199's 7 mains and deep webbing looked to be the strongest of all. Navarro was a Ford guy, no bias towards AMC certainly. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 9:50am
I think the slant six main bearing count would have been four. I never heard of a crank breaking in one of those, however I did break one in a 6 cyl. Ford 223. Ford flathead V-8's only had three main bearings and I did see one of those all blown apart.

Of the seven main bearing engines IMO the AMC 232 because of its oiling problem probably started out the weakest. The one I am using now got less than 60,000 miles before failure in its first car. Had it been run faster and with more frequent oil changes it probably would have lasted much longer.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 6:46pm
I'm not so sure the valve train change from shaft rockers to pedestal was a upgrade.  IMO it a economy move .  Cost less to build, and saves a little weight. 

When you upgrade a pedestal rocker system to the ultimate what do you get?  A rocker with it's own individual rocker shaft.

And the early upper engine oiling method was no problem,  IF you kept a reasonable oil change interval. 

I got over 200,000 out of my 69 232.  I did a valve job at about 80,000,  but never got into the bottom end until I took it off the road after 18 years as a daily driver.  
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 10:14pm
Change oil and run them fast. They would work good and last a long time. Run them slow and they  sludge up. Maybe not as bad today with the better oils.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 11:30pm
Recommended oil change intervals on the 1965 models were every 4000 miles under favorable conditions and as low as 1000 miles under really bad conditions. 1977 recommended 7500 miles under ALL conditions, which I think is absolutely crazy.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 10:16am
Another point to be made or at least it is offered as modifications for many engines, whether it makes any difference or not but shaft supported rockers are more stable and can respond better to cam shaft modifications.
The 232 comes standard with them.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 1:34pm
They share that shaft mounted rocker design with another of my favorite denigrated engines; the Ford FE series... and the "Thriftmaster" 144-170-200-250 engines... IMHO there's no guesswork installing the rocker gear on most of these (except solid lifter adjustable rockers) so there's no error built in... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic