TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A couple points from the 232 SAE Paper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple points from the 232 SAE Paper
    Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:53pm
I bought the full PDF of the SAE Paper for the Torque-Command 232. I know I cannot post up or share the paper publically, but I think I'm allowed to talk about what I paid to read.

The first page had some bullet point goals for the design of the engine, and all of them were met according to the author-engineers:

1. Performance comparable to moderate displacement V8s on the market.
  2. Operating smoothness and quietness equal to modern V8s.
  3. 100,000 mile design life; production engines must pass a 500 hours full-load endurance run at 4000 RPM.

Woah. Think about that last one: 4000 RPM at full load. With average gearing, that's roughly 100 miles per hour, which would also be roughly top speed and therefore full-load for the engine. The engine can sustain 500 hours of that and "pass" their test. I don't know what condition the engine had to be to "pass" the endurance test, but I pressure it was still running decently well if not to its original standard.  

Basically...you can run your 232 for 50,000 miles flat-out floored at its top speed for 50,000 miles and it'll still be running anything from halfway decent to perfectly fine by the end of it, and that was a specific design goal for the engine that was actually achieved according to this paper written by the engineers themselves.

They also had 10 test cars, each driven 100,000 miles in real-world testing for a total of 1,000,000 miles. 64% of the driving each car was either on a turnpike at 70 MPH or a test track at 80 MPH. The first engine to hit the 100,000 mile mark did so without needing its cylinder head or oil pan removed.
----------

Other points:

Remarkable detail was placed on crankshaft design and balance to produce a truly smooth engine. A 4-counterweight crankshaft was developed and tested. It was deemed adequite for standard six-cylinder practice, but inadequate for the goal for smoothness and bearing life on this engine. It produced some bearing loads and vibration due to not being fully counterbalanced. A 12-CW crankshaft was considered since it is fully counterbalanced as a whole to produce zero bearing loads or vibration and also individually balances each cylinder to reduce crankshaft stress, but was deemed excessively expensive to produce. They instead compromised on an 8-CW crankshaft, which is also fully counterbalanced and produces no bearing loads or vibration, but produces slightly higher crankshaft stresses compared to the 12-CW version because each cylinder is not individually balanced. It's still significantly stronger than the 4-CW version, which was already deemed perfectly adequate. It's interesting to note that the 258 eventually received the 12-CW crank before downgrading to the 4-CW. 4.0L's used a 6-CW.

The engineers note in the paper that EVEN MORE smoothness could be achieved by counterweighting the crankshaft to compensate for rotating end of the connecting rods, but this was deemed completely unnecessary by all driving impressions, as the 8-CW crank already produced "an exceptional degree of smoothness which was fully acceptable to all concerned."

Also: respect the stock log-type intake manifold. The engineers tried some high-flow, ram-type individual runner manifolds and provided pictures of them. They resemble the Chrysler slant-6 manifolds and many of the aftermarket manifolds available for these engines. They produced HORRIBLE fuel distribution and cold weather vaporization problems, resulting in poor power and drivability. The air-fuel distribution chart for the log manifold actually shows exceptionally good fuel distribution, beating out all other designs by far.

I love this engine. What a wonderful design.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 3:35am

I'm just a bit partial to it too. I've built a MOPAR slant six version of this along with a Carbureted and a FI version of a 258. Now it is the 232's turn with an AFB, Iskenderian cam, offy intake and Eagle exhaust. I never really had a fuel distribution problem.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 7:08am
Of all the inline 6s, I like the AMC 6. and Im generally not a fan of 6s in general.   the one thing testing cannot do-- is long term testing.  putting 100k on an engine in 2-3 years isnt a real test.   drive it 10-15 years, then design issues will show up in the real world.  like that oil gallery, in oiling the shaft rockers, sludge built up, the fix was to grind the head bolt so it would oil the rockers...     I had a friend who didnt like AMC, But he was a big 6 cylinder fan, and he would say the AMC 6 was a good engine.... lol
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:47am
It would have been more mechanic friendly with side covers or larger holes to access the lifters and  individual adjustable rockers would have also made a big improvement over the rocker shaft.

Edited by vinny - Mar/26/2017 at 9:56am
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:56am
One of the magazines I used to get  published SAE engineering documents in part every month.  I think it was Special Interest Auto.
I can remember seeing the SAE paper on the 232 AMC 6, along many others, The Kiser OHC 6, slant six, the Vega 4, etc.. 
  In those engineering papers all engines comes out sounding like every one's a mechanical marvel, even the Vega.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

One of the magazines I used to get  published SAE engineering documents in part every month.  I think it was Special Interest Auto.
I can remember seeing the SAE paper on the 232 AMC 6, along many others, The Kiser OHC 6, slant six, the Vega 4, etc.. 
  In those engineering papers all engines comes out sounding like every one's a mechanical marvel, even the Vega.

Very good and valid point - The Vega motor in particular was regarded as quite the technical marvel at it's introduction as it made use of a lot of technologies that were cutting edge at the time.  That ultimately most of those technologies were half-baked at best was something only time would tell. 

(and that 'time' was like 6-months for most owners. lol)

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 12:06pm
The production life of that basic architecture (232, 258, 4.0 liter) was impressive.  There had to be a reason for that even though some folks here won't skip an opportunity to denigrate it.    Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 3:03pm
Well I or our family has had many of them including Chrysler flat head six, slant six, Ford 300 and a few of the GM versions. The 250 in my truck right now, judging by the crud on it and deteriorated motor mounts, I would say has never been out. It has over 100,00 miles on it and aside from a leaking rear seal it still runs good.

The AMC engine has smooth castings so no doubt looks good and yes, it runs smooth, maybe more so than the others. However, I don't believe its life expectancy was any longer than the others of its day. I don't consider myself denigrating it when comparing. IMO they were all good engines. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

It would have been more mechanic friendly with side covers or larger holes to access the lifters and  individual adjustable rockers would have also made a big improvement over the rocker shaft.
No engine was perfect...when they came out........
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Well I or our family has had many of them including Chrysler flat head six, slant six, Ford 300 and a few of the GM versions. The 250 in my truck right now, judging by the crud on it and deteriorated motor mounts, I would say has never been out. It has over 100,00 miles on it and aside from a leaking rear seal it still runs good.

The AMC engine has smooth castings so no doubt looks good and yes, it runs smooth, maybe more so than the others. However, I don't believe its life expectancy was any longer than the others of its day. I don't consider myself denigrating it when comparing. IMO they were all good engines. 
I agree...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic