TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C in 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 9:55am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I know what the dealer installed Hornet/Gremlin unit looks like, but on the 70 Javelin under dash, I assume it hangs on the passenger side only?[/QUOTE]

Correct.
As stated, there is no room between the dash board and the transmission tunnel for anything else.

In addition, while there may be an exception, I have never seen an aftermarket under dash unit except those that were uniquely designed cosmetically to fit across the full length of the dashboard and then those were designed uniquely to fit Hornets and Gremlins that did anything else other than hang down from the passenger side of the dashboard.

V.A. had I think three different underdash units in their catalog when I ordered mine. I took measurements of my dashboard and compared to dimensions given in the catalog and ordered the one that fit my dimensions.

Think about it. Where else would one go, there is no room up inside the dash board to fit a generic aftermarket unit. And V.A. does not offer or did not anyway at the time I ordered my package an in dash design that would fit an AMC car.

Those were only available for the more commonly built shoe box cars of the period and assumed a full dashboard rebuild anyway with an engine kit. (The engine kit was also no available. The engine kit being mounting brackets and drive pulleys)

[/QUOTE]As a 70 AMX owner, I am anxious to see how well under dash works. Keep us posted. Thanks.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 3:58pm
Fuzz,

The heater/AC box on a 70 Javelin extends from the passenger side edge of the glove box to the driver's side edge of the console. The expansion valve is almost directly above the throttle.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 4:11pm
Another update, wasn't real hot today,but we took the car for a 40 mile one way ride to Sheldon for a show, didn't enter the show, just looked at cars, however the A/C performed flawlessly again, both ways. We enjoyed cruising in cool dry comfort with no wind noise and no humidity.
Just wonder why it took me so many years to get this done.
Armand

here's a photo of the universal dryer with a low/hi pressure safety switch installed.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/07/2015 at 4:15pm
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 8:50am
I started the White70 for the first time this spring on Saturday March 12, 2016. Just for grins I thought I'd kick in the AC and set it on the coldest setting labeled "Desert Only". The ambient air temperature was 71 degrees, an unusually warm March day in MN. I wanted to see what temp I got at the outlets in the middle of the dash. My refrigerator thermometer read 33 degrees F. That's the first time I've run it on the desert only setting.

I'm happy.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I started the White70 for the first time this spring on Saturday March 12, 2016. Just for grins I thought I'd kick in the AC and set it on the coldest setting labeled "Desert Only". The ambient air temperature was 71 degrees, an unusually warm March day in MN. I wanted to see what temp I got at the outlets in the middle of the dash. My refrigerator thermometer read 33 degrees F. That's the first time I've run it on the desert only setting.

I'm happy.

For some reason, after reading this, I would think most peeps in MN would run their AC in temps above 70. Hehehehehehe!
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 3:48pm
You know MN, it's one of those states that some days you need the heater on in the morning, but by the afternoon the temps have gone up enough to use the A/C.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2016 at 5:20am
Like the weather here in SC lately. 56 this morning, expect 85 this afternoon!

Desert Only can freeze up the evaporator if you use it for long unless it's REALLY hot outside. Runs the compressor continuously.
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2016 at 11:31am
Exactly Farna, that's why I've been hesitant to use Desert Only
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 9:39am
Bumping this post forward in hopes that more peeps may benefit from the information contributed by so many knowledgeable AMCers.

ATTN fhpdave.

70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 3:47pm
Thanks Armand for this post. I bought the attached Drier from Napa ($78 my jobber cost including shipping from Texas) and it's an exact fit and looks just like the one my 79 Spirit AMX  except for the top fitting which is smaller. Now looking for an adapter. (photo of drier is upside down).

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM208425

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic