TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C in 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 9:27am
added note to the above post.

The car currently has a non A/C upper radiator hose. Me thinks an A/C upper hose may provide additional clearance.

Anybody know this?

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 11:17am
Since my 71 stuff did not use O-rings, I think instead of converting to 74 dryer / Condenser, I may just do the reverse on new hoses by welding on old style heads to the dryer and Evap hose ends. Unless 74 on up dryers are easier to come by for replacement. 

It is nice to know the hard parts stand up to R134A without failure.

I guess once you start putting things together for fit and finish,  exact parts may be different especially for year and model, let alone how one wants to arrange hoses and fitment. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 12:05pm
Nice Job
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 8:20pm
My Javelin is a 70 Donohue and my father bought it used 1 year old in 1971 so I guess I am the 3rd owner. It has been licensed it's entire life although at times parked extensively. It is at best a survivor and as such has been wrecked once, blown up twice and the OEM 4 speed was replaced with a T5 when the transmission went out in about 1994 or so. The A/C conversion was started and not finished (yet) due to my back going out. It is a Vintage Air under dash install with an OEM Compressor mount and a York to Sanden adapter to get the Vintage Air Sanden compressor mounted. There are no clearance issues using 1970 OEM compressor mounting hardware. I just do not have the back side mounting bracket hardware and so few 1970 vehicles ever had OEM AC I can not remember seeing one. Most 1970 Vehicles collected are either pony or economy models such as a Gremlin or Hornet. And muscle conversions were done with out AC.
I have a Late Eagle mounting bracket for a Sanden compressor but my Spirit which has A/C was put together using a York compressor and has worked so satisfactorily over the years I have never bothered converting it. So while I have the parts on the shelves (I am trying to clean out and clear out of the garage) I'll probably never use it.
My Spirit has been a very satisfying car to own, a modified 258 runs like a raped ape and is on the road quick, with a short wheel base and a suspension similar to a 70 AMX with large road tires is more than a pleasure to drive.
I dunno, it just seems to me that AMC made some pretty neat cars in the 70's that were horrendously marketed but that is personal preference speaking. They had FI running according to people I know who worked in AMC at the time (Rennix system) and did not install it at a period in time that might have made a big difference in the cars that would have sold and didn't.
Wudda/Cudda/Shooda I guess.
I am installing the AM-Air Dealer installed under dash AC in the Hornet I am putting together using a GM "Muffin" compressor mounted on the Mercury Marine 5.7L V8 I am using to power it with conversion parts from Vintage Air where needed to use the flared fittings that came with the piece. I am hoping everything will work well. It is not together yet. All I have to do is hook the wiring up and verify tightness of the fittings, but getting the car actually painted and the wheels and tires chosen to fit has been a priority.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 8:36am
Thanks everyone for the kind words about the install.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 9:02am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It Works,
--------------------
NICE!

FUZZFACE2
I have some 1970 Javelin pieces for A/C that I started to collect before I gave up on it and purchased an underdash Vintage Air unit.
You are welcome to them if you want them, I have to clean out my garage and anything that goes to make room is bonus to me.
Tonight my brain is fried and could not tell you what I have if anything worth using but PM me if you are interested.
I think one of the pieces and maybe the only one is the evaporator.
John, I am weighing my options at this time on if I want to try and find and make work stock AMC parts, mainly the inside parts, or go with a Vintage Air unit. I should have thought this out before I rebuilt the stock heater box & dash but I need A/C down here in NC.

On the VA unit what one did you go with? You said under dash is it under or behind like stock? Also do you have a post on this install?
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

[QUOTE=uncljohn] Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

FUZZFACE2

On the VA unit what one did you go with? You said under dash is it under or behind like stock? Also do you have a post on this install?

V.A. has a number of period designed (cosmetic) cases that fit under the dash.
The works or what makes it cool things does not appear to me anyway of being something unique as in appearances it is similar to the 1976 Vintage AM Air unit I am re-installing in my Hornet. An originally dealer installed package. Of course updated in materials and such as far as the working mechanisms are.
And under dash unit does not vent out side air to be cooled, it recycles cabin air and frankly there is nothing really wrong with that. On todays new cars that is a push button option that not only recycles cabin air but jacks the motor speed up also. It is used for rapid cool down of a hot car.
What I did was to measure available space under the dash on the passenger side of the car as on the Pony cars there is no room between the dash and the transmission tunnel and as they are cosmetically period correct to the 70's it looks pretty good. It came with bulk hose material, pieces to make the hoses, parts to run them through the firewall and a Sanden compressor as Vintage Air has no or did not at the time have engine kits for an AMC engine and I choose the size of the condenser that mounts in front of the radiator.
What is needed then is a method to mount the compressor on the engine and run belts to it and I was able to purchase from people and vendors the AMC mounting parts for a York style compressor and an adapter for a York to Sanden compressor.
No, I have no information on mounting it. The project got set to one side when my back started acting up and I hve not finished it.
You have to hang the underdash unit, make holes for drains, run the wiring and hoses and mount the hardware on the engine. It is pretty straight forward
In the mean time I have been working on my Hornet Sportabout which will use an AM/Air dealer installed underdash unit with a Mercury Marine engine which uses Chevy Small back accessory mounting, a muffin compressor with Vintage Air adapters to match hoses from compressor to 1976 Vintage underdash hardware and run wiring.
I have gotten spoiled in my old age, I like a fast street car with A/C. So I see to it when I build something it is A/C equipped.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

[QUOTE=uncljohn] Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

FUZZFACE2

V.A. has a number of period designed (cosmetic) cases that fit under the dash.
The works or what makes it cool things does not appear to me anyway of being something unique as in appearances it is similar to the 1976 Vintage AM Air unit I am re-installing in my Hornet. An originally dealer installed package. Of course updated in materials and such as far as the working mechanisms are.
And under dash unit does not vent out side air to be cooled, it recycles cabin air and frankly there is nothing really wrong with that. On todays new cars that is a push button option that not only recycles cabin air but jacks the motor speed up also. It is used for rapid cool down of a hot car.
What I did was to measure available space under the dash on the passenger side of the car as on the Pony cars there is no room between the dash and the transmission tunnel and as they are cosmetically period correct to the 70's it looks pretty good. It came with bulk hose material, pieces to make the hoses, parts to run them through the firewall and a Sanden compressor as Vintage Air has no or did not at the time have engine kits for an AMC engine and I choose the size of the condenser that mounts in front of the radiator.
What is needed then is a method to mount the compressor on the engine and run belts to it and I was able to purchase from people and vendors the AMC mounting parts for a York style compressor and an adapter for a York to Sanden compressor.
No, I have no information on mounting it. The project got set to one side when my back started acting up and I hve not finished it.
You have to hang the underdash unit, make holes for drains, run the wiring and hoses and mount the hardware on the engine. It is pretty straight forward
In the mean time I have been working on my Hornet Sportabout which will use an AM/Air dealer installed underdash unit with a Mercury Marine engine which uses Chevy Small back accessory mounting, a muffin compressor with Vintage Air adapters to match hoses from compressor to 1976 Vintage underdash hardware and run wiring.
I have gotten spoiled in my old age, I like a fast street car with A/C. So I see to it when I build something it is A/C equipped.
I know what the dealer installed Hornet/Gremlin unit looks like, but on the 70 Javelin under dash, I assume it hangs on the passenger side only?
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 10:23pm

[/QUOTE] I know what the dealer installed Hornet/Gremlin unit looks like, but on the 70 Javelin under dash, I assume it hangs on the passenger side only?[/QUOTE]

Correct.
As stated, there is no room between the dash board and the transmission tunnel for anything else.

In addition, while there may be an exception, I have never seen an aftermarket under dash unit except those that were uniquely designed cosmetically to fit across the full length of the dashboard and then those were designed uniquely to fit Hornets and Gremlins that did anything else other than hang down from the passenger side of the dashboard.

V.A. had I think three different underdash units in their catalog when I ordered mine. I took measurements of my dashboard and compared to dimensions given in the catalog and ordered the one that fit my dimensions.

Think about it. Where else would one go, there is no room up inside the dash board to fit a generic aftermarket unit. And V.A. does not offer or did not anyway at the time I ordered my package an in dash design that would fit an AMC car.

Those were only available for the more commonly built shoe box cars of the period and assumed a full dashboard rebuild anyway with an engine kit. (The engine kit was also no available. The engine kit being mounting brackets and drive pulleys)

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 9:47am
Thanks John I thought you replaced the stock heater box unit with a VA unit but see you went with an under dash unit.
I did not really want an under dash unit but will look at them.

As for the compressor mounting side I did have a York bracket if it came with me on my move and for pulleys Bulltear may get a call for their belt kit for some bling
Thanks again.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic