TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C in 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C in 70 Javelin
    Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 2:01pm

I've got a 70 Javelin that I'm installing a factory A/C system in.

I decided to convert the system to O-ring fittings. The evap coil now has O-ring fittings and has been flushed out using the appropriate flushing chemicals. I purged the air out of the coil with Argon while silver soldering O-ring fittings that were fabricated from soft copper tubing and brass flare fittings. (more on fabricating soft copper fittings in another post) The expansion valve was easy, I just ordered one for a later AMC with O-ring fittings. I'm going to hard tube most of the system except bridging across to the compressor. Those will be flex hoses.
My questions are

What other condensers made by the factory that will fit the Javelin platform came with O-ring fittings?

Per chance is the 74 Javelin condenser an O-ring equipped coil?

Does it bolt up without mods to the 70 body?

I've got a Sanden compressor with -8 and -10 O-ring connections. The -10 is the suction side of course. The evaporator coil is -6 mostly except where it exits the coil, it changes to -8 via a silver soldered brass fitting. I've got an adaptor to convert to a -10 aluminum bulkhead fitting. From there I plan to use -10 hard aluminum pipe to the hose connection for flex. The -10 will go in front of the radiator support and then back towards the compressor.  Would a -8 suction line be adequate? or does it really need -10 tubing for the suction side?

If I use an expansion valve made in recent times (R134A) and the original sensor tube controls from the factory (you know the thin tube that goes into the condenser) and fill the clean system with R-134A PAG oil, do you think it will perform OK?

How much R134A should I put it in?

All you A/C knowledgeable guys, please help !!!

Thanks,
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 2:59pm
I don't believe the '74 Javelin condensor has o-ring fittings. (My '74 Hornet one does not.)

Someone wiser than me will have to chime in on your other questions. Good luck! I'm sure it can be sorted out!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 8:39am
OK, got an answer to one of my questions myself, I found an NOS condenser for a 74 Javelin on ebay. It came from a dealer in the Phoenix area.  Part numbers on the coil match the numbers in the parts manual. The condenser has a 1975 manufacture date, can't remember which month. Anyway the condenser for a 74 Javelin HAS O-ring connections on it. The hot gas into the coil (from compressor) is a -8 connection, the liquid connection before the dryer is -6. The condenser nests in front of the radiator exactly like it should.
I guess the bolt up shouldn't really be different anyway, 70 to 74 Javelin/AMX front ends are basically the same platform sans fenders, hoods, grille, brackets etc. the chassis is the same.

Happy motoring,

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 6:01pm
I bet it's a replacement condenser, not NOS. I don't think they started using o-rings until the late 70s. 
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 7:31am
I'm pretty sure it's a factory NOS part. It even came in a factory box that the cardboard is obviously 40 years old or so. It does have o-ring fittings and it fits exactly as it should. The seller is a guy that bought out a few dealerships parts inventory way back when.

Armand
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 7:44am
AC was an option rarely ordered or purchased in a muscle car in the 70's. One arguably would not purchase power steering either. It was a different era. Was might have been sitting on a shelf or available an not used is amazing.
I still remember and don't know why I do a dealer come on in the local area I grew up in offering free A/C OR Free Heater.
Now this was a time when heaters were still optional in the car and the location was up state NY.  I wonder how many Free A/C's were actually sold in that area on that come on.
But Phoenix? I live there.
If your car has no A/C it is not marketable.
I am installing Vintage Air in my 1970 Javelin and I need to repair the condenser in my Spirit.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 1:31pm
Well, I stand corrected Armand! Maybe AMC started using o-ring connections sooner than others, or I'm just wrong all the way around! It happens occasionally, and I'm not afraid to admit it! Wink
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 2:00pm
No problem Frank, and yes I am 100% positve this is an OEM, NOS condenser, I dug it out yesterday and looked it over again and began planning how to make all this come together and work satisfactorily. The condenser has AMC part numbers on it in stenciled white. It is made of aluminum with steel end cap plates and mounts spot welded together, similar to the 70 condenser.  I purchased a repop 70 condenser from a company on Ebay and was very unhappy with the result. It fit like crap and looked twice as bad. This NOS condenser fits in place, bolts up and looks good. The condenser doesn't have a bracket on it to mount the receiver/dryer like the 70 condenser has, I wish I could find photos of the 74 A/C installation. Anyone have a 74 TSM? Could you check for underhood views of the Javelin A/C? Or, a Javelin/AMX they could take photos of for me?

Thanks,

Armand

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Apr/15/2013 at 3:32pm
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 9:32am
Well, I finally took the next step here, I ordered a bunch of aluminum tubing with male and female O-ring ends, fittings with posts for SS braided hose and braided hose from VintageAir.
Previously I bought a new dryer from Vintage too, I haven't decided which way to go yet, NOS dryer or new dryer, my fear is the NOS dryer will have bad dessicant in it, even though it's been sealed all these years.  Anyway the parts should arrive in a few days and with any luck I'll be making more progress on this install.
I purchased a cast iron compressor adaptor through ebay that bolts to the original aluminum compressor mounting bracket on a 70 V8 to convert to the Sanden compressor. It really made the compressor squat down and fit right where it should. Bought a Gates V-belt and installed it all. Appears like it oughta work great. hopefully I can post some pictures soon, been a bit relaxed with that lately....

Armand
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2013 at 8:50am
The 1974 Javelin/AMX AC condenser was, for some reason, a bastard.

The cars used the same condenser from 71-73, but AMC tweaked the design in 1974 so that the condenser and receiver/drier were different from previous years. This makes finding a correct receiver/drier for 1974 models next to impossible.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic