TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A 1976 Hornet Sportabout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 1976 Hornet Sportabout
    Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 2:36am
This is a story about wanting to build a new Street Rod.  Something Based on an AMC as my others are but something that is also needed that is no longer available.
I need a station wagon. Why is not important, but the need is there. 
And low and behold? Out in my Drive Way is:

A 1976 Hornet Sportabout.
An almost complete 6 cylinder car with Automatic and aftermarket A/C. It is almost completely free of rust due to the AZ source but to some extent damaged by the heat here.  It is death on paint an plastic pieces.
I want also to have something with a modern transmission and an engine that has a bit more staying power than a 232 I-6
So in 2010 I accumulate a modern V8.  I purchase it out of a Mercruiser application from a boat in Florida

Stripping said engine of it's aquatic accessories I discover a rather ugly 1994 vintage GM 350 cu in almost zero hours 4bolt main, windage tray and Dart II heads V8.  And looking at the Mercury Marine engine mounts the thought occurs that with Hot Rod motor mounts I can get it to sit on the AMC engine cross member and with available block hugger headers get the exhaust down through the suspension components with out running in to anything.  The engine is a steal for what I paid for it. 9:1 compression (measured) works with 91 octane and I can get it to go into the Hornet. So:

Dressed up in an approximate configuration and:

The cross member is modified for new engine mounts and notched for exhaust pipe routing the engine now will fit into the car.

A 700 R4 and a lokar linkage adapter kit is found and along with a modification to the rear mount:

The engine will now fit into the engine bay as desired.
there is a fair amount of cosmetics required at this point in time, but the basic pieces are there.  A drive shaft  is fabricated, suspension, brakes and shocks and such are dealt with and mechanically over a period of time the pieces are assembled to have a modern AMC based street rod that is in itself a station wagon.
It will have power steering, front disc brakes, A/C and has at least an out side chance of passing smog regulations despite the addition of an Iskenderian cam to go along with the World heads and the air gap intake with a Carter Thermoquad 800 cfm carburetor.  Linkages all work, it shifts off the steering column.  The dash board is a bit of a problem as the transmission has no speedometer drive so a modification is in order, but an aftermarket tachometer works. As this is a budget build, money is being saved for a GPS speedometer.
Of course any righteous ride needs a new set of shoes so:

A full set of P235x35x19 tires mounted on 10 inch wide rims are sourced out and installed.

The interior is dressed up with:

A new set of threads and new rugs are installed on the floor after the front floor transmission hump was widened to make room for the 3/4 servo pressure sensor for the lock up torque converter. and the aftermarket transmission cooler to be installed in that location too.

The new rugs install and hide the increased width.
The car is not done yet, it is in the stages of being prepared for paint. :

But it is progressing slowly. Like all projects it is behind schedual, a quite massive heart attack put things on hold for about a year.  Yet to be installed is the satellite radio and it's amplifier and do the interior trim cosmetic up dating but it is gaining on things.
As to parts removed?  Some have been sold to other AMC members who needed things for their cars. The engine will be used for a street rod, a T-bucket Roadster with either a 5 speed or the automatic..  It will have a cam and a 4bbl when installed. 
A custom grill has been fabricated but not yet installed.  Things will be added as they come up

Edited by uncljohn - Jun/14/2014 at 6:38pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 9:09am
Wow, Uncle J, nice fab work--wish I had those skills!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 1:10pm
things that make you go HUMMMMMMMM
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 6:45pm
This is the reupholstered Front seat installed.

It gets hot here so it was done in cloth to a pattern I preferred. Xtra padding was built in to be comfortable.  The rear seat is designed to fold flat for a cargo floor so the pattern was reproduced but not the padding.

I have all new rubber weather seals for the doors, window track seals, inner and outer window fuzzies, Air lifts for the rear window, and I think new rubber for the rear window weather seal.  A pair of AMC door mirrors are stashed away.  All new interior heat and noise insulation to go with the rugs, an up graded windshield wiper controls, and lemme see what else is ready to go?
Gathering stuff for projects like this is half the fun.  Chrome plated radiator over flow tank, chrome remote power steering reservoir and a Lokar Transmission dip stick.  Also a 2 piece fan shroud to be installed.  There should be plenty of cooling capability with a new flex fan and a new Wiend high volume water pump.

The dashboard was reconfigured to use mechanical gauges and indicators for the lock up torque converter.

The speedometer is no longer functional so it will be replaced by a GPS unit eventually. In the mean time speed will be calculated from the use of a tachometer.

A new grill or face was mocked up using a combination of parts from the Hornet, a Ford Pick Up truck and a 1964 Rambler.

Once the car is painted it will be finalized along with parking lights.

Also can be seen a hood scoop.  Installed for clearance for the Air Cleaner.  The installation of the Air Gap intake and the Carter ThermOquad used up all the available under hood space.

Edited by uncljohn - Jun/09/2014 at 6:43pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 2:24pm
When contemplating installing a V8 in something that previously held a different engine altogether it helps to get out a pair of scissors, some cardboard and a roll of masking tape and mock up what you would like to have done before you start cutting up metal and beginning to weld. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 2:30pm
What happens then is when you are done all the parts will fit and everything should then drop in place.  Notice that full access is still available for camber adjustment to front suspension.
Also a notch has been fabricated to give room for the exhaust pipe to bend and clear suspension components and starter as it comes from the block hugger headers or center dump exhaust manifold.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 3:30pm
Very cool John, although some will frown on the GM power plant I for one could care less. It should have  performance and get good fuel mileage with a respectable aspect of being reliable. Not to sure about the thermoquad but maybe you will have better luck with yours than I have had in the past. Looking forward to more pictures as you get further along. Shelby
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by shelbycoleman shelbycoleman wrote:

Very cool John, although some will frown on the GM power plant I for one could care less. It should have  performance and get good fuel mileage with a respectable aspect of being reliable. Not to sure about the thermoquad but maybe you will have better luck with yours than I have had in the past. Looking forward to more pictures as you get further along. Shelby

Thanks Shelby. It has been pretty much a fun project.  With numbers in the middle 4 figures being scattered around on this forum as to building an AMC Power Plant  up from some rusty cast off configuration the day has long since passed that finding a running functional V8 engine pulled from an Ambassador or even a Binder being able to pick up a currently supported by the factory GM V8 complete with 4 bolt mains, a windage tray and World heads for $300.00 and being able to out fit it with accessories and drives that are not only modern but available and calling up a Cam Shaft co. that can supply you with a bump stick that deals with today's driving all while bolting it up to a modern 4 speed automatic with overdrive and lock up converter and having it installed and running for less than a grand including the cost of the engine pretty much says you'd be a fool not to. I bought the ThermOquad 20+ years ago, it is one of the early ones and it was almost new then not realizing there were no manifolds for it that fit my 390 and let it fit under the Air Cleaner.  So this looked like a good way to use it.  I bought a second one for parts and and found rebuild kits are available for it. It runs good at the moment and appears to be quite tunable.  I'll find out more when the car is painted and on the road.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 11:26pm
The latest objective has been to re-install the AM/Air air conditioning unit removed from the passenger compartment to overhaul the interior.  While not done completely, I need to fit it back in and to my surprise?  It don't fit.
Trying to understand this is a bit weird, as it came out of the space under the dash, some 2 or 3 years ago why don't it go back in and then I sort of remembered it was wedged in there more than a bit.  Apparently installed by a resident hammer mechanic from some where soon after the car was bought. The rugs were thin, the padding almost none-exhistant and that has changed.

This of course is the unit, it is a Dealer installed option and fits under the dash.
This part; the motor and fan drive assembly fits all the way forward up in to the ducting for the heater system.

And not thing are explained just a bit the heater system ducting is chewed up as if the A/C unit did not really fit in the first place.  And looking carefully at things, it seems that the heat ducting chewed up to make this unit fit!  And now that the new rugs and padding are there it just flat does not fit. Like this;

The way it is supposed to fit.
So, now it has to fit at a shallower angle in relation to the floor. This requires that the heater defroster ducting needs to be trimmed and capped off so it clears the fan motors, and that has been done.  A piece fabricated and installed gives partial heat to the cabin and windshield defrosting if needed.  And also the bottom of the glove box which is cast into the plastic of the dash board has to be removes and a new bottom installed that will raise it up out of the way of the now shallower angel the AM/Air A/C unit will fit under the dash.  This too has been done and will be installed in the morning.  And if I have guessed right , the A/C unit will go in correctly.  The hoses, drier and condenser have been installed and adapter purchased from Vintage air to allow the "R4" GM style muffin compressor to take the original barbed fitting from the AM/Air install and lines and also have the R134 high and low pressure line fittings so R134 can be installed and measured.  Wiring is there to support the system.  The last thing needed is to re-locate the Brake switch that was installed for the lock up torque converter controls.. Where? I dunno but the spot I picked initially was right in the way of the A/C unit.
Oh well.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 12:29am
After taking a good look at the problem area's the heater duct work was trimmed back.  About 1.5 inches of the bottom of the ducting was removed.  This eliminated the splitter for heat to go to the right and left foot well but enabled the duct work for the defroster was made workable and an out let for drivers footwell heat was  created.  The new raised bottom now eliminated the chewed up duct work caused by the rather poor dealer install and made room for the blower motors for the A/C unit.  Also the bottom of the glove compartment was removed and a new bottom made and pop riveted into place for room for the plastic housing. The Moral?  The A/C unit looks like it was made to fit?  It really did not very well. 

Now that it is in place the hardware was installed and the A/C lines ran and hooked in.  Also the bracket for the torque converter lock up installed to sense brake application was modified and re-installed. 

Next the A/C lines were run through a fabricated firewall out let into the engine compartment

One of the lines went forward to the Compressor connection, the other fastened on to the drier. When can be seen is the decorative panel installed so things looked a tad better. 

The lines used were the ones installed with the A/C unit originally.  They were intended to fit on barbed fittings as supplied with the compressor and other parts initially with the AM/Air kit.  Today I found Vintage Air had adapters to make things like this to work.  And they were needed to also include the high and low pressure taps.  As you can see things fit quite will when all said and done. As I expect this car will also have to pass smog testing you can see the charcoal filter. Used at the present is the gasoline tank vent line.  The trigger for that one is the small line on the left and that will go into a tap that will be built in to the air cleaner and the tap on the right is the carburetor bowl vent line.  This carburetor has a vent line on it so it will be attached.  If needed a smog pump is installed and a line will be run to exhaust system through a one way check valve and if a Catalytic converter is needed, a local performance cat will be installed before the mufflers and the air line will be run to them through a one way check valve. 
The car initially was certified free of a catalytic converter and if I can I will try to have it smogged that way. 
If you look carefully at the lower left side of the photograph, two silver caps can be seen.  One is the radiator over flow and the other is the Power Steering reservoir. Not shown at the present is the LOKAR transmission dip stick. Mostly because it is still on the shelf. 

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/20/2014 at 12:32am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic