TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ongoing Problem: Engine Stalls When Put in Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ongoing Problem: Engine Stalls When Put in Gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

Just an update, but the transmission ended up crapping out on me due to misadjustment somewhere. It’s getting completely rebuilt and I’m throwing a 3000 stall converter in it this time.
misadjustment? Really.....
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 10:48am
Been a while looking back at this thread,

tached_out, by static performance I mean things that are hard - cam, compression ratio, intake, exhaust. The stuff you have to tune around.
Mechanical advance; yes springs can be changed and this is more dynamic.
To me - dynamic performance is the easier stuff like idle adjustment, timing, carburetor needles or jets, linkages, programmable ignition ...

Not surprised by the transmission though. Does anyone know if these transmissions can fail like was posted on page 2?
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 3:44pm
Trans was shot--I saw the parts. Trans is good now, but I'm still having trouble with the idle, even with the 3000 RPM stall. Bringing it to Dan's shop since I'm local. Gonna have them take a look and see if it can get figured out. 

I also talked to Comp Cams and they said that cam should work perfectly with my combo. According to them I should be able to get 850-900 RPM in park and have no issues in gear. 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 5:11pm
Hughes says everything looks great for the combo. Holley said "it ain't me!". They're pointing their finger at either the distributor or adjustments on the carb. 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 5:51pm
We all seem to be pointing at the distributer....
Timing that is.
Gremlin Dreams
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

We all seem to be pointing at the distributer....
Timing that is.

I'm patiently waiting to see.  I have a couple hundred rpm drop when I put it in gear, and I think it's an idle and timing adjustment.  But seeing as my car is still put down for the winter, I'm hoping for some results here before I start messing around.Wink

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 6:20pm
Results are in!

Brought it to Dan’s shop in Peoria and slapped an Edelbrock Thunder 650 on it. We wanted to see how it would run with a brand new carb on it. I previously tried my Holley 600 and my 750–both gave me the same results. I was pleasantly surprised when the Edelbrock ran beautifully on my car! Apparently both Holley’s were not set up right, and I wanted some simplicity, so I bought the Edelbrock. Money well spent, and I’m glad the headache is over...
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 6:22pm
Timing is set at 10 degrees initial advance right now, by the way. I believe 36 total.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 7:46pm
Well have a great summer now that it's running.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 2:19pm
I’m definitely out enjoying it! Unfortunately it’s starting to get pretty warm in Arizona already and my little humpster has no A/C. ☹️
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic