TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ongoing Problem: Engine Stalls When Put in Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ongoing Problem: Engine Stalls When Put in Gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ongoing Problem: Engine Stalls When Put in Gear
    Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:24pm
So, I have a '74 Javelin AMX. 360 with 998 trans. I posted about this a while back, but I figured I'd start a new thread since I feel like I have a better idea of what's going on now.

I've set the timing anywhere between 12-25 degrees advanced and this thing doesn't like anything. The best I've squeezed out of it is a 1000 RPM idle, but it still drops down to 550 RPM when put in gear. I'm hearing it shouldn't drop more than 200 RPM, not 450+. Not understanding why it's bogging down so much.

Here's a breakdown of everything I've done and what I know up to this point:

-The 360 is a brand new rebuild
-Cam was installed with timing straight up
-No vacuum leaks
-Started with 750 Holley and switched to 600 with the same issue
-Tried running with and without the carb spacer
-Swapped out the stock converter for a 2500 RPM stall Hughes converter
-Swapped out the springs in the distributor for heavier ones

Not sure what's going on, but I'm running out of ideas and patience. Seems like everything I try doesn't make any difference. Help?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:43pm
Sounds like your cam is 180° off. Distributor too far advanced. Way too rich or too lean on carb.

Also you may have a bad plug wires or have crossed some.

Look at the plugs after a good 2 minutes of idling at 1000 in park.

Take pictures and post.

Edited by 304-dude - Mar/01/2018 at 1:52pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:49pm
Compression test.
Gremlin Dreams
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:52pm
I might also add that I can get it to idle in park as low as 500 RPMs without stalling. When I turned up the idle speed so I could drive it, it ran strong. 

I'm gonna do a vacuum test this Saturday when I get some time to work on it more.

Edited by WhatISit - Mar/01/2018 at 2:00pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

I might also add that I can get it to idle in park as low as 500 RPMs without stalling. When I turned up the idle speed so I could drive it, it ran strong. 

Check your vac advance diaphragm and line for leak.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Check your vac advance diaphragm and line for leak.

I do have a brand new one I'll probably throw on there
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 2:06pm
My dad had the car when it still had the original 304 in it and said the car still shifted into gear a little hard back then. Said he lowered the idle speed but it kinda labored in gear. Think it could be something to do with the trans?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 2:12pm

My dad had the car when it still had the original 304 in it and said the car still shifted into gear a little hard back then. Said he lowered the idle speed but it kinda labored in gear. Think it could be something to do with the trans?

Is the lockup converter wired properly? If always on in 1st it will cause similar issues as you have stated.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Is the lockup converter wired properly? If always on in 1st it will cause similar issues as you have stated.

It's non-lockup.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 2:30pm

So, I have a '74 Javelin AMX. 360 with 998 trans. I posted about this a while back, but I figured I'd start a new thread since I feel like I have a better idea of what's going on now.

I've set the timing anywhere between 12-25 degrees advanced and this thing doesn't like anything. The best I've squeezed out of it is a 1000 RPM idle, but it still drops down to 550 RPM when put in gear. I'm hearing it shouldn't drop more than 200 RPM, not 450+. Not understanding why it's bogging down so much.

Here's a breakdown of everything I've done and what I know up to this point:

-The 360 is a brand new rebuild
-Cam was installed with timing straight up
-No vacuum leaks
-Started with 750 Holley and switched to 600 with the same issue
-Tried running with and without the carb spacer
-Swapped out the stock converter for a 2500 RPM stall Hughes converter
-Swapped out the springs in the distributor for heavier ones

Not sure what's going on, but I'm running out of ideas and patience. Seems like everything I try doesn't make any difference. Help?

It may be a timing/idle/vacuum problem.  Before you do anything read the first post on page 4 of this link, it's a primer on idle/rpm.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/idle-speed-high_topic91420_page4.html

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic