TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Formulation of AMC cast iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 6:07pm
I prefer inconceivium.

S
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 6:30pm
Omniloy, otherwise known as Anythinium......
You know, the Aluminasteel that builds up beneath the Bridgeport.....
Gremlin Dreams
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 8:25pm
I thought that bridgybread...

Steve
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 12:03am
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Worked once again on my project Rambler. Finaly got all the accessories mounted Alt, A/C,  no P/S for now, had a heck of a time duo too the amount of different types of set ups that they make for the 2.5 and 4.0 engined. I have 4 different brackets to mount a compressor on and all are different. Alternator has the same issue but finally got it all together but had to relocate the idler pulley since no P/S. loads of room on the drivers side for something. Air compessor maybe?  Did install the starter. had to do a double take on the starter also. I have two also one is a chevy style with horizontle bolts and an attached soleniod the other is a Ford autolite style but has the head mounting part just like a cheby. Went with the Autolite Motorcraft style since it's original to the 2.5 Jeep engine.

The starter in that case depends on which flywheel you have. Carbed uses the Ford style with Chev nose and TBI uses the Chev style. Different ring gear offset (found out the hard way when I swapped an HO 2.5 from a Wrangler into my old '84 XJ 2 dr))
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by 401fanatic 401fanatic wrote:

They don't last long but boy are they good.

Yeah, but they burn out too fast and leave you hungry... for more.

Oh, and dilithium crystals for the win!
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 11:56am
Noticed the different ring gears, I'm running automatic and using the ring gear off a 3.1 that is offset by the way the flexplate is stamped. the other ring gear is flat and uses a spacer to line up the gear,  Both starters engage the same and use the same diameter gear. So far so good.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 9:49am
I’m trying to find the post on how some of the AMC blocks were cast in a GM foundry.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 11:09am
CFD up till some time in 1976, maybe later?

CFD is Central Foundry Division General Motors.

And, add to that the iron mix that AMC used
is compatible to other GM engine block iron mixes.

The biggest difference may be in hardness.
The hardness is less to do with heat but
the use of "chill blocks" in the cooling process.
Gremlin Dreams
baklys View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baklys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 6:32pm
In our lab we have a SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)  I can take a piece of a cylinderhead and have a look :)

Baklys

Live in Norway!

-76 Gremlin X V8

-69 AMX 390 4 spd

-70 Gremlin Race

-63 Classic

-and 4 more gremlins..
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 7:38pm
I didn't read this post but I worked on a set of 291C heads last week and they must have been very early castings. 

Out of the MANY AMC heads I worked on these were not like all the rest. They were a softer iron and smelled like my sisters late 1800's house basement when I was grinding on them and doing the valve job. I never smelled anything like it when grinding an iron head of any make before. 

There was core shift on one exhaust bowl and I went through the bowl with my bowl cutter so I scraped the set. Of course it happened on the last bowl of the second head, bronze guides installed and ported, ugh Angry

After thinking about it, I feel it was good that it happened because they potentially would have had an issue down the road.

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic