TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

994 casting NASCAR heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 994 casting NASCAR heads
    Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 5:33pm
I purchased some AMC parts last night and I think I may have a set of NASCAR heads. 

No pictures yet. 

They are 993 castings with around .150-.200 raised intake runners, dog leg exhausts. 

I read where they could have a large X cast under the valve cover area and rectangular exhaust with the dog leg raised floor. 

No X on these and dog leg exhaust but the intake runner is raised so I think they may be real. 

Anyone have information? 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 8:07pm
993 is late 1971 360/401 heads....
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 10:43pm
Those are the same castings that i have on my 64 wagon and the roofs were raised .125
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 8:24am

I looked at a stock 993 casting I have here and the runners are not raised. The heads in question have been ported but they flow terrible. Flow is with a 2.08 valve. They may be cut for 2.100, it is hard to tell with the rust. 

You can see in the pictures that the gasket on the factory 993 head matches when the bolt holes are lined up and the "NASCAR" ? head pots are clearly raised, both the floor and roof. 

Aslo, one picture shows the valve cover rail is thinner. It may be hard to see in the pictures. 

I do not know what these heads are for sure but they are not an as cast typical 993 head

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 8:26am
The top picture in the precious post shows the gasket lined up with the "NASCAR" runner. Notice how the bolt holes no longer line up

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 8:30am
This picture shows how much the floor is raised when the gasket is lined up with the bolt holes. The roof is raised the same distance. 

rbjracing.com
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 9:24am
Interesting
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 12:41pm
Some of the ports were cast small on the X heads leaving stock to make them raised ports like you have.
JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I looked at a stock 993 casting I have here and the runners are not raised. The heads in question have been ported but they flow terrible. Flow is with a 2.08 valve. They may be cut for 2.100, it is hard to tell with the rust. 

You can see in the pictures that the gasket on the factory 993 head matches when the bolt holes are lined up and the "NASCAR" ? head pots are clearly raised, both the floor and roof. 

Aslo, one picture shows the valve cover rail is thinner. It may be hard to see in the pictures. 

I do not know what these heads are for sure but they are not an as cast typical 993 head

I filled in the numbers of what I ended up with using a 2.055 Int valve on a raised port iron NASCAR head. The flow starts taking off @ .450 Lift with 250 CFM and just keeps going never falling off we just ran out of travel at .925 Lift with 328 CFM. John could you show a picture of the bowl and chamber area?

JTSLLC1
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 3:45pm
Chambers and runners

rbjracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic