TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

904 transmission leak in my Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 904 transmission leak in my Gremlin
    Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 9:49am
Nothing new, right?  Just over a year ago, I had the leaky shifter shaft seal replaced, as well as the speedo cable seal. Everything was nice and dry (no leaks)   until earlier this  week, when I took a long drive (160 miles) on mostly highway. Parked it in the garage, and the next day...big puddle, with a little pool still surrounding the shifter shaft seal.
  Can anyone say why the seal would fail so quickly (about 2000 miles since the repair last April)?  I've read much on this forum and others about this somewhat common problem. Any one else experiencing the same?
72 Gremlin X
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 10:17am
Don't know how they fixed the leak the first time, but if it didn't involve this:

they probably didn't do it right.  The condition of your VB in that area may not allow effective repair.

904/727 classic leak scenario.  Note, it will be MUCH easier with the trans out, but theoretically can be done in the car.  Either way the VB is coming out, so a great time to fix all the other 904 annoyances and get yourself a shift kit installed... plus check bands and all the other stuff that gets exposed.  If you pull the trans, check the torque converter carefully for hairline cracks, replace seals, while you've got it out.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 11:46am
Thanks for the insight. I doubt the Sonnax sleeve was used.  The job is way beyond my knowledge/skill set, which is why I took it to a well-respected shop here in Minnesota. 
  Your remark about the condition of the valve body got me curious. I have just recently started hearing a funny knocking noise when braking, which continues for a few seconds when I've stopped. One article I just read says this may indicate a valve body problem.

72 Gremlin X
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 12:48pm
Don't misunderstand, I'm no transmission expert, just had this exact leak myself!  I chose to put a Cheetah VB in because I wanted a shift kit anyway, and I was not thrilled by how my transmission guy described the expected longevity and difficulty of the other solutions.  Finding a VB core is pretty easy for a 904, but getting one that wouldn't be worn in that spot already was hit/miss.  So, I went a different route, but it's certainly not for everyone's taste on the upgrade list.

I wouldn't go right for a replacement VB, but you need to evaluate the condition of the shaft seal, the hole itself, and the corresponding part of the VB. Slop in any part of that will cause rapid wear of the seal.  This article has excellent information about it:

Knocking sound during braking isn't something I'd associate with a valvebody...but if you're certain it's coming from the trans, and it continues when the car after all rotation has stopped, could be something in the transmission I guess.  Maybe something about it letting go of the front band/clutches? Fluid level being low can cause shifting problems, of course, but nothing like that happened to me when mine ran low.  I wouldn't race down the transmission internals path until you've looked over all rotating driveline components.  Remember the pump is still turning at idle, car stopped.

Also, essential to make sure your throttle valve rod/linkage to trans is correctly set.  Lots of guidance out there on that for the 904.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic