TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

904 help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55mog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 904 help
    Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 1:31pm
I just bought a 1979 spirit amx 6cyl auto. Running but not drivable due to trans. Previous owner said  trans worked untill he pulled motor to do some work on it,when he put it back in trans wouldnt do ANYTHING. I just pulled trans, after draining trans and converter it had about 5 quarts total in it,converter had very little ,I did check  it prior to removing as instructed with engine running in neutral and it was on dip stick as it should be.The converter inner parts seem to move a little,and I found a little white washer/sleeve in the fluid.  Questions 1.was it low on fluid or is there still some left in trans? and lines 2.Should there  be approx. 1/16 inch movement of parts sideways inside converter? 3.washer/sleeve looks like it goes around a3/16 rod ,what could this be?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 1:54pm
my bet would be that the pump gears were damaged putting the engine back in. There should be two tangs on the inner pump gear that the converter hub drives. With the converter out you should be able to see them past the seal with a flashlight. It is easy to break them off installing a engine if the converter is not seated in the pump correctly. This would result in no pump no fluid pressure and the trans would seem to be filled but it is not
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
55mog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55mog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 2:03pm
Thanks ,I will look at that when I get home.
55mog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55mog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 8:47pm
Looking in past the seal on one side I see what looks to be a tab about 1/4 inch wide x1/8 tall,on the other side are two small exposed bearings and a hole that looks like the bearing fell out of,it looks like the converter was grinding against this area to expose the balls.Is this a part that can be replaced and would there be other damage from this ?
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 9:02pm
I agree, sounds like they broke the pump.
Replace that and it should work fine.
Research how to reinstall the thing so you do not make there mistake
55mog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55mog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 10:32pm
Is the pump something I can get from an auto parts store? Tried to google it and didn't have any luck. Thanks
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 11:16pm
I use a transmission parts place called Transtar Industries, if you are in Alabama there is one in your town. 205 324 0615 They should be able to sell you one and the gaskets you will need to install one. If the pump is damaged the hub of the converter is likely damaged also.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 11:22pm
Nope. Trans shop, trans parts house (I use Seatac transmission warehouse) or junkyard. Internal parts are the same as Dodge 9XX. Depends on lockup or not though. 727 is different.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 7:17am
Yeah broke the pump and probably the converter hub.
55mog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55mog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 8:00am
Thanks for all the help,I going to replace the pump and converter . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic