TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

8.8 To Gremlin HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2012 at 1:51pm
Yes and thats what i will do in the future, however for right now i plan on just installing it to be able to drive and move it.

Now im not being a prick or rude, I bought the 20 from a spirit years ago to keep everything AMC however finding non bent hubs, finding cheap gears and parts is $$$. Next to nothing meaning ill have to grab another axle shaft from the scrap yard $10 bucks, gears are good, new drums and shoes $50 bucks, brake lines have here. So 60-80 bucks in various stuff plus a few hours cutting the tube.

The AMC 20 i have to buy gears, install kit, moser axles and buy then ill be almost 1K into it-_- The 8.8 already has LSD 3.73 and if i blow the gears they are 50 bucks for more from the yard. There are NO AMC PARTS here in FL where i am. The people who have them want to much money for worn old rusty parts. Example 160 for a set of worn matched gears for cam and Dizzy that have almost 200K on them.

Dave, Im not against what your striving at but i just dont want to go that route. I would if i had time and extra cash. I dont have a garage to place the car in so its roiting out in my buddys back yard. Id rather get it going to drive then wait for a deal to come around and its roited to the ground.

HEY at least i didnt put a SBC in it X-P however the T5 is AMAZING on the highway!!!
DavyKrawkt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavyKrawkt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2012 at 9:18pm
Look in to this setup with the Ford 8.8.......
Might help you decided which way to jump........
At Pick andPull.....Pricing
Complete rearend with disc brakes .....159.00
Axle Shaft.....(Passenger side).............. 36.99
you now have a strong, slightly narrower rearend, which means wider tires,
disc brakes and a 3.73 posi...hard to beat for the price and not a lot of work...
I am currently putting this set up in a 77 Pinto Panel, with a 351 Windsor Stroked to 418
and will probably put one in my 74 AMX Javelin with a 401...as well...

Hope it helps
DavyKrawkt  Thumbs Up

1973 AMX Javelin
Pierre Cardin Edition
What goes around.....comes around.......
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2012 at 5:02am
There's a similar write-up on shortening an Explorer axle here on the Forum. Search 8.8 and you'll find it. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic