TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

8.8 To Gremlin HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.8 To Gremlin HELP
    Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 11:39pm
I've searched this forum for 2 hours and couldnt find what i was looking for. I have a 74 Gremlin original 6cyl now with a 360/T5WC and 20 rear locked. My buddy wrecked his 1990 Explorer with 3.73 LSD. I want to know if it will bolt in my car without issues. It is a street car not a original. I use it to beat mustangs and camaros. I need to know if it will bolt up with not tunnel issues or problems. Some people say you need to shorten it but only for 96+ Explorers does that apply to my 90 axle?? Thanks Jake! P.S i can measure anything because of where the car is located.  
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 11:55pm
I think you'll find everything you need in either of these:

Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
15GremlinGuy74 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:40am
So im guessing its not just a bolt in and go type deal correct??

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 10:08am
That would be correct. The 93+ Ranger axle is 1.5" narrower, and the 92 and earlier Ranger axle 1.5" narrower than that (3" less than Explorer). The early Ranger would just about bolt in -- it's the right width -- but 8.8s are hard to find (mostly in commerical chassis, only a few others).

Now if you need/want new wheels, you can bolt the Explorer axle in with minor mods. Then you need deep offset wheels. Weld Draglites come in a variety of backsets. That's what I did to keep from narrowing my Jag IRS -- bought Weld Draglites, 7" x 5.5" backset (the deepest I could get in a 7" wheel).  Weld makes a few other wheels with deep backsets. The Explorer wheels might even work as they are pretty deep, as are Jeep Cherokee wheels.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That would be correct. The 93+ Ranger axle is 1.5" narrower, and the 92 and earlier Ranger axle 1.5" narrower than that (3" less than Explorer). The early Ranger would just about bolt in -- it's the right width -- but 8.8s are hard to find (mostly in commerical chassis, only a few others). Now if you need/want new wheels, you can bolt the Explorer axle in with minor mods. Then you need deep offset wheels. Weld Draglites come in a variety of backsets. That's what I did to keep from narrowing my Jag IRS -- bought Weld Draglites, 7" x 5.5" backset (the deepest I could get in a 7" wheel).  Weld makes a few other wheels with deep backsets. The Explorer wheels might even work as they are pretty deep, as are Jeep Cherokee wheels.

Thats what im looking for. Heres the story i was 16 when i got the v8 done and 14 when i got the car im now 20. The things been sitting at a buddys house since late 2010. Im sick of seeing it sit there. I got the exploder axle for nothing and i want to just stick it in for now so i can at least use the car. I have to address the dizzy gear issue since the wonderful MSD gear has the oil inlet offset wrong. I just wanted to make sure the axle wont hit the body from being offset 3" on one side. I own and operate a diesel performance company down here and have all the equipment to mod the axle just no time. What other mods are your reffering too. Also i do have to buy wheels for it anyway. I picked up a buddys spare set of small ford wagon wheels that have a very deep offset. I have the driveshaft and yoke from the explorer. I only need the yoke i know but it was on its way to the scrap yard so i didnt have time. The 20 is from a spirit and has 3.15 with a mini spool locke and the T5 overdrive is soooo low on the highway lol. Just i was 15 when i installed the gears so they are setup wrong too X-P. What made me want to swap it out was i kept breaking the hubs off the rear and 8.8s are common to find. Their is a 1991 4.0 ranger at the local yard with a 8.8 but according to the tag its open 3.55. What are the little mods you're talking about??
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:04pm
Also farna i know ive seen your car before where are you outta?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 10:06am
I know you said time but by the time you find a 8.8 rear maybe have to mod it it would be easier to get Moser axels a new locker or twin grip and gears could have it together in a weekend after you have the parts on hand.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 15GremlinGuy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 2:21pm
Thats $$$ i can mod this thing for next to nothing
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 2:22pm
I'm in South Carolina now, was in Delaware 2005- to mid 2007. Had the car since 2003 and been to Kenosha and many east coast shows, no telling where you've seen me.

The only mods I'm refwerring to are moving the shock mounts and maybe the spring perches. There are a couple threads on here about using a 8.8 in Americans. The 64-69 American uses an axle about the same width as the Hornet/Concord. The offset hog head isn't a problem at all. The trans isn't offset to match in the Explorer either. As long as nothing under the car hits the drie shaft (shouldn't) you're good to go.

For temporary use try the Explorer or some XJ Cherokee wheels -- assuming you can get them cheap. They should be deep enough to clear with something like 205-215 width tires.

I'd get that 8.8 if it's a 91 because it's the narrowest (see axle info at www.therangerstation.com). You can put the guts in from any other 8.8 if you need to change the gear ratio or want a locker later. I don't think the Ranger has the 3" offset of the Explorer either. It is offset some, but I think it's half as much.
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 15GremlinGuy74 15GremlinGuy74 wrote:

Thats $$$ i can mod this thing for next to nothing
Maybe next to nothing but IIRC the 8.8 R&P get set up this like the AMC 20 not like the 9" so if you going to change out the carrier any way to change gears & a TG, axles have to be pulled to do this right? I Just can not see doing all this work and you have to spend $$ to do it any way how much "next to nothing" would it turn out to be? Ok so you have to buy axles and they are like $450 but the carrier/gears/install kits would be the same.

It is your car & money it was my .02
Also did you see the post on narowing 8.8 using a short side axle shaft on the long side by cutting the tube?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic