TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

84 Jeep 727 into 73 Matador?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz_Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 Jeep 727 into 73 Matador?
    Posted: Dec/04/2014 at 10:29pm
I've been reading up about swapping out a stuffed 727 from my 360 Matador with a good 727 from an 84 Jeep. I understand the output shaft has to be swapped and all the internals have to come out to do this.
Could someone please clarify a couple of things for me?

1. The output shaft from the 73 box will go into the 84 box with all other 84 internals and no other mods?

2. The torque converter that comes with the 84 box will bolt to the flex plate on the Matador without any balancing required?

3. Torque Converter has 4 bolts, I saw a picture on ebay of another 727 with a 3 bolt TC in it, apparently an 81 model. are some 3 bolt and some 4 or has that seller got something other than a 727?

Cheers Confused
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2014 at 11:37pm
1) yes

2) 84 Wag 727 would have no issue, BUT there was 2 converters that year. Same converter to the same trans is no issue. Lockup and non-lockup were different.

3) TH400 gets misidentified as 727 a LOT in Jeeps. Whether intentional or accidental, it happens. 727 has 4 or 6 (not in AMCs) converter bolts.

Even the 4 cyl 904 has 4 bolts.
Oz_Bren View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz_Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2014 at 1:21am
Thanks Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic