TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Spirit GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 9:50pm
Happy AMC New Year!!

I spent my first day of 2018 working in the garage installing my freshly rebuilt engine.  After getting AMC blue metallic paint on it and readying the garage, I started with installation process.  

I switched over to polyurethane motor mounts, and it took a bit more effort to use them than I expected, but I finally got the engine mounted.

I stuck with it though and made some good progress today.

I took off work Jan 2nd so I could keep at it.  Hoping to have the GT on the road this weekend.....Wink

Edited by 83GT - Jan/02/2018 at 6:32am
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 2:14pm
What cam did you use?

What headers are those?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 8:55pm
Lookin' good, TL! Excited to see some progress on it. Hopefully it'll run even better than before!

Once baseball season ends in May, I should finally be making some significant progress of my own.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 7:06am
LOVE that valve cover!!!

Gremmy Power!!!
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 7:12am
I remember you, that shaker scoop was about the coolest thing I've ever seen!!! NEED THAT FOR MY GREMLIN!!!!!

Gremmy Power!!!
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 10:14pm
January 2018 Update  -  Engine

Got the transmission and cross-member mounted tonight....Wink

I'll start again Saturday morning, should be able to make good progress on it.

BIG_K View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 11:26am
Love the build! Looks great! Where did you get the hood?

_Kaylan
00' Stang- Deceased
05' Stang - Daily Driver
80' Spirit "AMX"
83' Spirit GT- Weekend Warrior

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 4:44pm
Loving this project. Reminds me of the "Team Spirit" project we did for someone.

Before and after.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 6:55pm
January 2018 Update  -  Engine

Actually I had a major vehicle day Saturday.  Started off in the garage making preparations to work on the GT, then stopped at 9am to run to the motorcycle stealership to pickup the Stryker after its initial 8K mile service, then back on the GT until 2pm, then ran the RV up for fuel and a heat cycle after the week of very cold weather (down to the high 20's for a couple of days).

Then I stopped for the day to watch the Griefs lose to the Titans.Ouch

I did get some work done on the GT though...

Sunday I spent finishing bolting the last few items to the GT and prepared to fire it up.  Here it is, ready to crank...

I did break one thing, a mount post off the oil pressure sensor, really bummed me out but I had a spare on the shelf, so it was called into duty.

Once I had everything bolted together, I filled the crankcase with oil (Valvoline VR1 on recommendation from the builder), coolant and connected the battery.  I cranked it quite a few times until I started seeing oil pressure (had the distributor disconnected so there was no spark), but wasn't seeing fuel at the carb.  I cranked it quite a few times, but still wasn't getting fuel to the carb (I have a clear fuel filter housing).
Battery needs charging, and I had to start BBQ for dinner so I finished there.

I have a new mechanical fuel pump, so I'm thinking I'll pull the fuel feeder line and verify I have fuel there next.

It won't be long now and the GT will be back on the road.Wink
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by BIG_K BIG_K wrote:

Where did you get the hood? _Kaylan

The black hood came with the GT.  I made the BBG shaker hood myself.  I bought the BBO ram-air hood from BBOSprirt (forum member), which he made himself.

Edited by 83GT - Jan/08/2018 at 12:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic