TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Spirit GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Are you bringing the GT to the East Texas Cruise-In ?

Yes, can't hardly wait to show it off!Wink
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 8:32pm
March 2017 Update  -  License Plate Light

A friend mentioned to me recently that my license plate light was out.  I checked, and sure enough, it was dark, no light.  I pulled that part, and its a Truck Lite TL544.  I looked around online, and found the Truck Lite site, but they no longer make that particular part.  I found the actual part for sale from the EaglesNest online store, but there's been no response from them for a couple of weeks now, so I'm guessing I'll need to cancel that order.
I started looking through the available lights on the Truck Lite site, and found a couple of marker lights that I think would work in the space I have available.  I found a local dealer, called to make sure they had them in stock, and stopped by after work to buy one.  Unfortunately, they sold all 15 units in stock moments before I arrived.  I ended up with a light that was very similar in size/design, just not the Truck Lite brand.

Removing the old light bracket proved to be the toughest part of this job.  The left side bolt was difficult, but came out with some effort.  The right-side bolt however, was rusted into place, and broke the capture nut loose from the mount.  There isn't any access to the back side of this area, so I was stuck with it until I could find a way to fish the capture nut out as well.  I'm not sure if the bracket was broken prior to me starting this job, but its broken nonetheless. 

I managed to finally get the capture nut out with the broken bracket.

Here's what I'm left with, not sure how to repair this sans cutting it all out and replacing with new metal.

I glued the bracket back together along the very jagged crack.  I think this will work for now, until I can find another bracket to replace it.  I bought some new hardware to remount the bracket, including a wall anchor for the right side mount.  Got the light mounted after a bit of fiddling, and viola, a working license plate light.

SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 8:45pm
Looking good! I feel your pain with rusted nuts and bolts. Try living in the rust belt!
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 12:13pm
hi, just fyi, the Eagles nest store is nonfunctional, and has been for several years. good luck, gz
george z
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 9:42am
March 2017 Update - Front Fender

I'd been living with a few items since I bought the GT that I've finally fixed (i.e. headliner , parking brake , license plate light...etc).  Another item was the driver-side front fender.  While it had been repaired slightly, with rust inhibitor and paint, it had already rusted through several spots (I'm sure many of you have noticed).  Well, I finally got to fixing this issue.
The GT came with a replacement fender that has already been sourced by the previous owner, and I've kept it around just in case.  So glad I did...

Started by removing the old fender, here you see the rust damage along the lip

...and now the GT being fenderless...

Luckily I didn't see any real rust in behind the fender/door area, so there wasn't much needed in actual repairs.

The pieces that had to be removed from the old fender.  I had the holes for the badging filled, so those won't be going back on once it's installed

Here's the replacement fender prior to being prepped and painted

And behold, the new fender in place and ready to show off.  I think the painter did a good job matching the new paint/shine to the old. 

I had them also MOP the GT while they painted the fender, hoping for a deep shine, and I think I got it...

racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 4:19pm
Looks good, couldn't tell it was changed..People think black is black. A ton of variations actually. Time to get those wheel flairs on

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 10:09am
April 2017 Update  -  Center Armrest

Here's another item I had been living with since the initial purchase, the torn center armrest.  As you can see below, I had the rip covered with tape, so it wasn't getting worse.  But as many of you know, this doesn't work well during the summer months as the glue has a tendency to seep out and stick your arm to the pad.

I rather enjoyed having the armrest out as it afforded me a small storage space for change, phone & wallet...etc.  But it really needed to be re-upholstered and available when I try to show the GT.  I used the same shop that did my headliner, and got a very reasonable $50 bill when finished.
I think he did a good job, at least it's a functional armrest again...Wink

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 6:33pm
hi, great job! is that the charcoal canister up there in the wheel well? my 78 Concord AMX had the same setup, not so great as the bracket rusted. nice car! good luck, gz
george z
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

is that the charcoal canister up there in the wheel well?

Yes.  It had rusted out completely so I went ahead and removed it when I did the reassembly.  The steel lines are still there from the tank, but they weren't connected at either end so the canister wasn't doing anything.
chickenfarmer3 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfarmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 6:31pm
where can a fella get a hood like your red one?  I love the hood scoop!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic