TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Spirit GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

cheap crimp connections

Yes, well, since I was changing things out a few times, I thought these would be the better way to go until I discovered the actual issue.
Now that I have a working ignition system again, I can make the connections properly and secure them.

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 10:02pm
Good News!!  The GT is back on the road, cruising the Island!!  After re-working through everything in the ignition system, I must have finally done it right.

Now I can get back to the multiple small projects I had on the shelf.Tongue
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 8:04am
hi, great looking car! what brand are the first set of wheels you had? Are they AR Outlaws? I have the same set on my 79 Spirit, though mine are over 20 years old and showing their age. thanks, gz
george z
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2016 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

what brand are the first set of wheels you had

Thanks!!  I'm pretty sure that first set of wheels is Enkei, not sure of the model.
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2016 at 2:52pm
September 2016 Update  -  Rear Brakes

Now that the GT is back on the road, I can resume normal project work.  I posted a while back that the rear brakes weren't in good working order, so they were next up.

Here is what I started with.  A lot of this looks to be OEM equipment, very rusty, broken, damaged and a few parts missing.  Although the shoes look to be new, the drums were a bit gouged, so I'm going to see if I can have them turned, and keep 'em as spares.

I cleaned off the grime, brushed/sanded off the rust and painted the backing plate flat black.  Ordered all new brake hardware, wheel cylinders, adjusters, shoes and drums.
Here is what I had when finished.  A fully functioning brake system again!Smile

On to the next project....Wink
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 9:28pm
October 2016 Update  -  Dash
Installed the brushed aluminum dash overlays.

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 7:00pm
November 2016 Update - Front Spoiler & Parking Brake Cables
Spoiler is installed, still needs paint, but its on there!  The parking brakes work, which is new for me as they haven't worked since I bought the GT.....Tongue

Edited by 83GT - Nov/28/2016 at 12:01pm
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2017 at 7:46am
December 2016 Update  -  Fuel Pump, Fender Flares 

I've noticed that the fuel line seems to empty out after the car had been sitting for a few days so I had the fuel pump on the list of coming repairs.  I think it finally failed outright as after sitting for over a week it failed to pump fuel up to the carb any longer.  Swapped it out and fuel is flowing to the carb again.

I worked on the set of fender flares I have for the GT.  Spent the time scrapping off the orange pinstripe with an xacto knife and patience.  Still need to get them cleaned, sanded down and painted, but the pinstripe has been pulled.  Thanks a bunch to the members that have been answering my messages asking for info and tips on the fender flares process!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by 83GT 83GT wrote:

December 2016 Update  -  Fuel Pump, Fender Flares 

I've noticed that the fuel line seems to empty out after the car had been sitting for a few days ........

Put a good fuel pressure regulator in the fuel line between the pump and carb.......really helped my 232. It can sit a couple of weeks or more and start on first crank.

Cool ride ..

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2017 at 7:03am
January 2017 Update  -  swapped out the OEM 9" clutch pack for a new 10" clutch, PP, PP bolts and TO bearing , shortened the clutch adjustment rod by 3/8" , changed fluids in the T4 and diff, new front/rear seals for the T4 , replaced exhaust pipe gaskets , re-crimped positive battery terminal , worked on the mangled lower shift boot to make it seal better (it will still need to be replaced)

New Clutch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic