TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Spirit GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2014 at 8:51pm
IIRC that offset scoop reminds me of the old Opel GT hoods that had a bulged on the side to clear the air filter.
You may want to turn that shaker scoop around so water will not be sucked down the carb and cause bad things to happen.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 10:43pm
Looks great. Nice to see progress. 
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 11:18am
Added some livery to the side-window and "258" to the scoop.

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 11:26am
Made another trip to the shop for an alignment check Sunday morning.  Looks like they are getting closer, although it still pulls slightly to the right (not as much).  At least the steering wheel is centered this time.
I'll drive it another week to let the new suspension parts continue to settle and give them another shot at it next week.

Amcpicsdaily View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcpicsdaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2015 at 7:24pm
I remember seeing that car for sale! Glad to see its being driven and taken care of
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 6:57pm
Found a decent set of 14" Turbocast II wheels, had to mount them.  Swapped out the shaker hood, was going back to stock (black) but the weather man is forecasting sunny skies next week, so back to the summer look...Cool

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2015 at 8:24am
Gotta love the Turbocast wheels!

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2016 at 9:17pm
Update  -  after a year in storage while I relocated to Galveston, I finally have the GT on the Island and back in the garage.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it started when I went to the storage lot to haul it down here, and even worse is, I haven't been able to get it started since.  I'm bummed because I drove it to the storage lot (it had been my daily driver), and didn't have any starting/running issues with it at that time.
Now I've had the car down here for a few weeks, and still cannot get it started.  I verified everything I can think of, and replaced most of the ignition components to no avail.  I have both the OEM ignition and an HEI unit available, but neither is providing a spark.
Here is the work I have done so far :
- replaced spark plugs (from E3 to regular old champions)
- rebuilt carb (it was dirty outside and in)
- replaced battery
- replaced solenoid
- compression check (all six around 110 psi)
- replaced spark box
- verified voltage at the hot (yellow) wire with key 'on' -> 12v
- verified the rotor is turning while cranking

I'm sorry to say, but at this point I'm a bit lost.  I have no spark (with either ignition system installed), I'm sure I have fuel making it to the cylinders and compression.  All I'm missing is the spark.
I reached out to Skip White, the HEI unit I bought is under a lifetime warranty, so they are sending me a new control module for it (hasn't arrived yet).  In the interim, I went ahead and bought a new spark box and installed it, but still have no spark.
I've checked my fuse block, and verified no blown fuses.  Lights work, radio works, gauges work...etc.

The "OEM" configuration (how it was configured when I bought the car) is a bit confusing, since two of the green wires weren't connected.  I've tried connecting the green wire that changes to white at the spark box, but still have no spark.

Its a 4-speed car, so there shouldn't be a 'neutral safety switch' type issue.

I'm willing to try anything at this point, if anyone has an idea or needs additional details I'll be happy to continue troubleshooting.

Here are a few pics...

OEM Spark Box - green wire was cut like this when I bought the car

New Spark box installed (this shot is reversed - battery is to the right)

OEM configuration installed

OEM Spark box connector showing this green wire cut at the connector

rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2016 at 7:18pm
You sure are using a lot of cheap crimp connections. Why not clean up the wiring with some solder connections and fewer of them? My just be a bad connection.
DWR
1968 AMX

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 8:59pm
The replacement HEI module arrived, I installed it, and now I have a spark!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic