TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Spirit GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 3:35pm
Looking forward to seeing some updates TL!
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2018 at 11:37pm
John's Auto Salvage in Seguin Tx has your hood front lower edge trim, correct front bumper shock extensions and front bumper end caps...

https://www.johnssalvagecompany.net/

I made this picture album to show our comrades some of the AM Rambler cars at John's:

https://goo.gl/photos/n6UxJYnwTvzHP4t28
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 7:31am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

John's Auto Salvage in Seguin Tx has your hood front lower edge trim, correct front bumper shock extensions and front bumper end caps...

Thanks a TON for this info!!  I feel a road trip coming...
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 9:19pm
Summer 2018 Update  -  Back on the Road, Cruisin' Seawall and Hittin' Shows

I'll be updating over the next day or so, but here's a quick pic or two to get started.

I pulled out the set of 15" wheels/tyres that came with the GT when I bought it, cleaned them up, filled with air, and went out for a cruise.  Bummed to find out one of the tyres has a hole in the sidewall, but it was fun to get out and ride around on the 15"s.

You might also notice the window tint.  A new upgrade added in the past few weeks.

Here's another shot, the first time the GT was "shown" with the tint job, at the club breakfast.
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 7:50am
Summer 2018 Continued  -  New Engine Break-In and Gaskets, Exhaust, Tuning

Once the engine had been reinstalled and fired up, of course it had to be driven, then oil changed at 1000 miles (VR1), heat cycles as prescribed....etc.
Now at 2500 miles, the engine is running strong.  I've taken it up to 4000 rpms several times under accel, and will keep revving higher as I gain confidence in the rest of the drive train parts.  The engine builder said the motor is good up to 5500 rpms, so I've got a few revs left to explore.
One thing I did wrong during the install which showed fairly early on, I used perforated exhaust gaskets with headers.  It didn't take long to spring a leak, then another, and pretty soon it wasn't sounding good at all.  Of course, on this engine, both manifolds/gaskets have to come off to replace the exhaust, so it was going to be a job.
I ordered a couple of exhaust gaskets to make sure I could get the right seal with my setup.  I had a spare intake gasket and sealant.  I just needed to get after it.  Time passed...
On the way home from the ETCI, I got caught up in a fairly major t-storm, had to drive through some flooded areas.  One of these passes though high water caught the exhaust collectors and broken one side loose at the joint.
Now I really had an exhaust leak and time was up.
So I started the tear down, pulled the manifolds, scraped away the old material, cleaned everything up, painted both manifolds:

, and started reassembly.

I did run into a snag, once I went to reattach the exhaust collectors to the tailpipes.  I had changed motor mounts (poly), and trans mounts when I reinstalled the engine.  I hadn't noticed how "sprung" everything was at the time, but now with everything sitting "at rest", the tailpipes are off by more than an inch.
So I ran it up the my local exhaust shop and had them line the exhaust up with the drive train (and replace a hanger), and set the timing for me (as I'm short a timing light in my garage).

I plan on doing the same clean/paint process to the valve cover, and maybe the air cleaner.

Th GT is back on the road, I have a new GF, its summer time on the Island....life is AMC great!!

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 12:49pm
October 2018 Update  -  Leaf Springs , Rear Axle , Car Shows and Blue Milk Runs

So I'm out last Friday morning on a blue milk run, nothing special for me.  The GF is coming over that night, so I do need some supplies, flowers other 'smell goods' and such.  As per my normal route , I cruise along seawall to check the ocean is still there....yep.
On the way back, I find an occasion to burn some rubber.  As I said, nothing special on this trip for me.  After all, you don't want to get ganked doing a blue milk run.

Chirp, Screech!  Chirp-Chirp, CLUNK, Screech!

Uhhh....that didn't sound right.  Cruising down the road....that doesn't feel right.  Pull over to verify externally, didn't lose a wheel or lug nuts.  Decide to cruise back to the garage (under 2 miles), rear axle feels like its 'floating'.  Stop for the light, during accel there it is again...CLUNK-CLUNK.  
Hmmm, something broke.

Here's what I'm left with...

Leaf Springs on the drive wheel.  It was the axle hop (chirping) that did it.  Different pavement types as I crossed?  Unsure what caused it other than me spinning the back tyre.

I was thinking back, and this is the first vehicle I've owned with one-drive wheel.  So I'm obviously lacking some experience with this config and messed up by letting the axle hop.  That and doing it on 35yr old parts.Embarrassed

I do have a twin-grip rear axle being rebuilt for the GT, so this repair is going to wait on that project.  I'll go ahead and replace both sets of leaf springs at that time, as well as all the suspension rubber so this breakage shouldn't reoccur.
Unfortunately, that takes the GT off the road for the time being as the parts are broken and its not the right time to replace/repair.
This is a major drag, as we have the Lone Star Regional AMC car show this weekend, which I will now not be able to attend.Ouch

So much for a Friday morning blue milk run.....Anyone need a hotel room in Salado , TX this weekend?

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 8:40am
Hope when your replaced the intake/exhaust gasket hope you used a Remflex. If so, your problem is resolved......

Sorry about your latest, TL, obviously your springs were in need of a upgrade....Shocked 
Not trying to laugh about it but but life is to short to take such happening's seriously and morn about them. 

I know you are looking forward to getting that good looking GT back on the road. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2020 at 5:39pm
February 2019 Update  -  Leaf Springs , Rear Suspension rebuild

Hi Team,

As some have noted, its been a long time since I updated the build thread.  With the GT now being for sale, it didn't look right to have the build stop at a breakage.

That being said, after a winter of solace, I started sourcing parts and had the GT back on the road the next spring for car shows (Saturday at the Strand).

I replaced the broken leaf springs with a 4-leaf pair designed for the 8-cyl Spirit.  New Monroe shocks, leaf spring pads (hard to source) , shackles, bushings , eye-bolts...etc, everything I could find that was old.

I am sorry for not having pics of it apart, or being put back together.  I do have pics of it today, over a year later, worn in a bit, showing some dirt.

Edited by 83GT - May/08/2020 at 5:51pm
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2020 at 5:53pm
...from the rear...

....the left-side.....

....the right-side.....
mossbluffspirit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mossbluffspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2020 at 10:45pm
nice 83gt I myself have a 83 GT also that I'm redoing and getting it ready to paint
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic