TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'83 Concord DL 6cyl, didn't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '83 Concord DL 6cyl, didn't start
    Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 4:31pm
Hello
my Concord wouldn't start, after I took it shopping on Saturday. It wasn't the battery since a starterpack didn't help. A bypasser and the mechanic from AAA tried hitting the starter with a rubber hammer, which didn't help and both came to the conclusion, that it would probably the solenoid. I found one on ebay, which seemed to fit, but when I tried putting it in today, I saw, that the original one had a cable on the bottom, which I hadn't noticed before

Can someone tell me what kind of solenoid I need, and where to get it?
This was an SS589T
Funny thing, when I tried to start it yesterday, it worked as if nothing had happened. Any thoughts about that?
I don't have very much detailed knowledge about cars or motors (it is my first one) but I think I can learn and I am quite good with mechanical things and repairing stuff (I used to fix TV and Hifi equipment as my job)
Thanks in advance
Greg

rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 4:47pm
Gregi, I'm new to the forum so there are some individual "quirks" with amc cars I am not aware of. Before you buy the solenoid. First if this occurs again, make sure that there is current from the battery through the cables to the next component. Turn on the headlights. Do they come on? While turning the key try moving the key around in the lock to see if the cylinder contacts are failing. The starter may engage or jump in and out as the contacts make and break continuity. Could be intermittent. Then, Make sure the neutral safety switch is not disloged. That would prohibit any voltage to travel to the starter when you turn the key in neutral or park, as if you tried to start in drive You did not say if the engine cranked and did not fire off or when the key was turned ... silence. I presume this is an automatic trans. That cable may be a ground. Ron

Edited by rons - Dec/10/2014 at 5:00pm
Gregi View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 5:03pm
Hi Ron,
it didn't do anything, but the solenoid was clicking and the voltagemeter in the car was going down, so it doesn't seem to be the switch. And I found the right solenoid now, I bought an SS589T, but it seems, I need an SS590. Unfortunately I bought the other one, but it wasn't so expensive.
And it is working now, but I think it can be only the solenoid or the starter. I don't have a voltmeter yet, so I can't measure if the voltage is coming through the solenoid, and as it is working now, I couldn't anyway.
We will see, but it is a bad feeling, driving around and not knowing, if it will happen again.
Thank you
Greets
Greg
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 5:41pm
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # SS590 It has the terminal on the bottom.

if you have jumper cables attach one to BAT +  and place the other firmly against the starer cable side of the solenoid . If the starter turns it's the solenoid . If it doesn't it's either the starter or a bad engine ground
A bad connection on the battery terminals  will behave like a dead battery or bad starter .

Edited by toolmanxiii - Dec/10/2014 at 5:49pm
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 7:48pm
Actually, that sounds like a typical wet battery post issue. 99% of the time i's the positive. Take the clamp off the battery and wipe the post and inside the clamp. Sandpaper till shiny and reassemble.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2014 at 9:04pm
The battery cables become rotten after this many years. My 81 Concord needed battery cables because of rot and they started smoking. It was also a fire hazard.

Always spray the posts with wd40 before putting the terminals on.

This same thing also happened with my Javelin and Eagle and Maverick.

Also what will happen with poor working cables is that the solenoid contacts can weld together because of the draw. When this happens with a full battery the starter stays engaged. The solenoid goes back to normal after a whack with something that does not conduct electricity.

Edited by maximus7001 - Dec/11/2014 at 9:14pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2014 at 7:13am
The extra wire is a ground for the solonoid. The style you got grounds at the bracket. The new one will work, just clean the area where it bolts on
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2014 at 4:19pm
The other possibility is the starter has a dead short. Tap it gently (NOT where the wire attaches!) with a hammer and see if it releases. I also turn the motor backwards and listen for the clunk. If the nose snap ring lets go, it will extend too far and short out.
Gregi View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 8:54am
Since I have a voltage meter in the car, which showed me the voltage dropping as I tried to start, I would think, that it's probably not the solenoid but the starter? If the solenoid wouldn't work the starter wouldn't get any electricity and then the voltage wouldn't drop this significantly?
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Gregi Gregi wrote:

Since I have a voltage meter in the car, which showed me the voltage dropping as I tried to start, I would think, that it's probably not the solenoid but the starter? If the solenoid wouldn't work the starter wouldn't get any electricity and then the voltage wouldn't drop this significantly?
Sounds about right. Could be a starter going bad or a bad wires/connections. 
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic