TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

82 Eagle jerks and slips out of gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 Eagle jerks and slips out of gear
    Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 5:46pm
I just picked up a nice 82 Eagle Wagon.It runs ok but the trans wont downshift when floored,and it jerks at times and slips out of gear.Any ideas?
61 American
82 eagle limited
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 6:27pm
Check to make sure the TV rod aka throttle valve rod aka kickdown rod is attached and adjusted properly. 
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 8:15pm
Sounds like that's the problem unless you have an engine RPM related vibration which means the converter is about to go tango uniform. You did check the fluid in neutral? The front axle vacuum system may be only partially engaging too. I was going to lock mine but I'm changing ratios so it doesn't matter. On the eaglesden there is a writeup on how to lock it. Then you can shift on the fly.
DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 2:36pm
How would I adjust the throttle linkage,and it slams into gear everytime I put it in drive.
61 American
82 eagle limited
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 12:41am
There is 2 bolts on the linkage by the carb you loosen to slide it closer or part like a trombone. Slamming into gear can be from too high idle or the converter lockup is jammed. I put a ball bearing in the line for mine and plugged it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic