TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

79 spirit,heater core,just warm air!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 9:20am
AMCs have a water flow control valve somewhere. Start by following the heater hoses. If it's not in the hose or on the firewall look under the dash where the hoses go in the firewall. It definitely sounds like you're not getting water flow through the heater core, but it could be the mix door. When you move the "AC/heat/bi-lv/def" lever a "door" moves that redirects air flow. That able could be loose or broken. Are you getting hot air out of the defrost ducts? From the center floor ducts? Just not getting it from the dash vents? If getting hot air from one of those the door cable is the issue. Also, is the fan running at all speeds? I'd check all this before the heater core. If all that is good, well, I'd replace the heater core. If it's that stopped up flushing probably won't help. Won't hurt to try, but take both heater hoses loose and see if you can run water through the core with a garden hose first.  I'd get a repair female hose end and put it on one of the heater hoses so you get a good connection with a hose.

I'm assuming this is a six cylinder 79 Spirit...
Frank Swygert
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 6:15pm
The def seems a little warmer than floor heat ,still not hot, I can hear the door moving with the
selector switch.still can't find any kind of valve or restrictor. Buying a flush kit tomorrow,
I will hook a hose to it then and check flow.
Thanks
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 6:45pm
It was common for the foam insulation to fall off of the door and block the air flow.
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 9:48pm
Smile My daughter's 74 Hornet was experiencing the same issue. I too was looking for a water control valve, but guess what? There isn't one. I suspect you have the same type of heater as the Hornet, hot water always flows thru the heater core, the "blend" door either allows the heat into the passenger compartment or stops the heat from entering the passenger compartment.

I put a small nozzle on the end of my garden hose and removed the heater hoses from the engine, put the nozzle into the end of one of the heater hoses, clamped it on with a hose clamp and turned the garden hose on low. At first, nothing came out of the other heater hose, then a trickle, then brown water, then eventually clean water.

Heater works fine now, no leaks.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 10:33pm
If your Spirit has A/C then the valve the controls the hot water to the heater core is a device shaped in the way of the letter H and is located in front of the fire wall and basically shuts off the hot water to the heater core when the A/C is on. And it is prone to failure which means it does not work and it is made of un-obtainium if it is actually no repairable by some mystery means I have yet to discover.
The letter H has four water lines going to it, two from the engine and two from the heater core. This should describe what you are looking for. If you do not have A/C I don't know what it looks like but it is different.
But in any case that is where I would start looking for your problem.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 7:56am
My 79 spirit has air,nothing but 2 hoses on firewall side, I've replaced them,I'd say whoever changed the engine to
a 82 left off the valve, or it malfunctioned and they left it off.both hoses get hot,too hot to hold very long.
I'll remove them tonight and try flushing the core.
Ps on rock auto I've looked up the valve for a 79 spirit and it looks like a donut on a stand with
2ports for hose, one in ,one out, and a small vac hose port. I do have a vac hose about middle
of firewall that isn't hooked to anything,it's end was taped shut when I got the car.
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
79 spirit,4.2
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 8:45am
Since my '79 Spirit (Casper) is out getting changed to an automatic,and the tech has my TSM, I cannot go look at my set up. I too  just looked at the Rock site and see the valve. Since you do not have one and your hoses are hot, then your core is clogged.

Last autumn I hooked up the heater in my Hornet (it was disconnected from the previous owner) to keep warm during the fall AMC show. I had already bought  a new core but since that is a chore to replace, I decided to see if the existing core had a leak so I took my garden hose and flushed out the core. Not much came out at first (what did come out was rusty sludge) but the flow got better and better (and clearer and clearer) until it ran clear and full flow. Then I looked to see if the carpets were wet. They weren't so I hooked up the hoses, topped off the radiator and let the car run with the heat on full. I let the car run for fifteen to twenty minutes and I got fantastic heat out of the heater and still the carpets were dry. So I concluded that the previous owner disconnected the heater to keep the interior cooler in the summer.

So I would suggest you use the same method and see what happens. I am convinced that your core is clogged. By flushing with the hose, you will see what comes out. Once you have finished that process you can use the radiator flush to clean the entire system. Once you have good heat and the system is clean, do not forget to add antifreeze.

Hope this helps.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 1:02pm
My 79 Spirit had a single vacuum actuated inline shut off on the inlet side that closed when you set for Air. If it's not there then you need to reverse flush your core. And CLR works wonders and won't hurt the core metal or solder in any way .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 3:16pm
Hooked 2 short 24in hoses to the core,poured 1-2 bottle clr in and let set 15-20min.
Poured about qt of water in then, quart of fluid came out other hose,kinda green(clr ).
Then blew through hose with my mouth, blew fluid out other hose, wasn't hard to blow through,
no trash or dirty water came out. Think it's ok. Both levers are working,I can c the cool to
hot lever on the heater box moving when I move the slide.let it run 15-20 min, it's getting better,
but still nothing to brag about, the longer it runs the Better it gets.with a rag completely covering
the radiator running 20 min the temp gauge only gets about 1/4 in into the green normal. New 195 tstat
Just installed.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
79 spirit,4.2
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2016 at 12:27pm
I'd recheck the New Tstat. take the rad cap off and watch for circulation through the rad and check the temp when it does . that or you could have an air lock . my 79 258 would almost roast you out in 5-10 min of running .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic