TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

78 Concord Wagon Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 11:55am
what is wrong with the mufflers  ??? 

72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

what is wrong with the mufflers  ??? 

I like them for fender well headers but under the car with no tail pipes you choke on the fumes...there load...pretty restrictive...my son bought side pipes for the car and the fist thing i did was make a set of glass packs for him using a set with 3 inch in and out with a 3.5 inch case..They breathe quite well and have a deep tone....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 7:29am
So you actually have four glass packs... two on each side, welded end to end. Different...
Those header muffler look like they exit under the car right at the B pillar, no wonder you're getting fumes in the car! You'd need to extend them to exit right in front of the rear wheel... That would help, but may still get some fumes inside at times (like sitting still and idling) due to the back doors being right at the front of the wheel well. Good door seals help, but probably wouldn't keep all out.

Edited by farna - Jan/18/2018 at 7:32am
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

So you actually have four glass packs... two on each side, welded end to end. Different...
Those header muffler look like they exit under the car right at the B pillar, no wonder you're getting fumes in the car! You'd need to extend them to exit right in front of the rear wheel... That would help, but may still get some fumes inside at times (like sitting still and idling) due to the back doors being right at the front of the wheel well. Good door seals help, but probably wouldn't keep all out.
I had made a video showing the massive restriction that the org. glass pack that came with it had...2 inch inlet and a 1 1/16 core for 52 inches....The way the new mufflers are swedged the inside diameter stays constant and i have 36 inches of perforation surface..3 inch in and out...plenty of surface area to absorb each exhaust pulse at lower rpm`s but free flowing at upper rpm`s...and with a 3.5 inch case they fit nicely beside the shields...It`s hard to beat a simple glass pack
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2018 at 1:12pm
A video of the paint work on the Concord from beginning to end....What i don`t show is the body work...how many time`s we took the door`s off...or the 3 times we final blocked the car...      
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2018 at 6:42am
Doors have never been off my wagon! I stripped them down when rebuilding the car and painting, but since they closed well and were gapped pretty good all around, I didn't want to loosen the hinge bolts. Got lucky, don't see that real often on a 40 year old car (when I built it in 2003). Still that way -- even the driver door hinges are still good!

You've done a great job on that Concord, by the way!! Know you can't wait to get it finished.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 8:06pm
Getting ready to reinstall the pan and engine component`s
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:22pm
Engine done...I will hook the tran`s back up tomorrow..
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:24pm
oil Pan turned out ok... 
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 10:58pm
Anthony, I put the 304 in the wagon last week (by myself) the motor mounts gave me grief till I took the p/s plate off the block then lowered it onto it when it was in the crossmember. The p/s head would up dead against the firewall ( my BIG pry bar remedied that situation. Got the trans in by myself also but the p/s header slipped out (couldn't get it back in so instead of playing with the motor mount I just removed the strut bar and rear strut bar bracket, it went right in. Today I fitted the shifter cable along side the braided trans lines,and cable for the kickdown. Like 10 # of you know what in a 5 # bag. Next the exhaust system and the trans dipstick.. Everything is a fight with not much room for all the things on the d/s. Luckily the dipstick tube didn't give me too much grief.All of this in a 20' x 10" garage.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic