TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

77 hornet clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 hornet clutch
    Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 9:11am
hi, can anyone recommend a good STREET clutch for a 1977 Hornet AMX with the 258? I believe its 9 1/8". Searches only come up with one option, #MU1676-1A., while the Jeep 258s have a large number of choices. I plan on going to a T5 eventually, but using the stock flywheel. thanks, gz
george z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2016 at 2:43am
What is wrong with the one you have? It has lasted 39 years with out a catastrophic failure which speaks for itself.
Besides if you go with a 5 speed you will need a different clutch disc anyway. Rock auto has a different part number listed for roughly $12.00 less or so.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2016 at 8:57am
hi, thank you. there is nothing wrong with the clutch I have, though i doubt it's the original from 77. I guess a better question would be, what are my options in clutches when going to a T5, that will bolt up to the stock 258 flywheel, and using the stock SR4 bellhousing?
This is my first T5 swap, and I've read so much about it my brain is going in circles. I think I have most of it figured out, but not this.
Why, if I am using a stock 258 flywheel, and the stock SR4 bellhousing, to which a T5 should bolt up, do I need a different clutch? I have no problem getting one, just, why?, and, which one?
This will be a fairly pricey endeavor, so I would like to get it right.
The reason I want the correct clutch, now, not when we install the motor, is that the original drivetrain is still in the car, and running. The NEW engine/trans combination will be mocked up outside the car, to make sure everything works/fits as it should, so hopefully we can install it as a unit. 
My engine builder wants the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel when he checks balance. (Yes, I know the 258 is internally balanced, but he wants it anyway). Not a bad precaution when dealing with 40 year old parts, new dampener, ring gear, machined flywheel, etc.
I've read many times, "just use a Jeep clutch", again, which one? 
I've also read many times, "you need a T5 clutch". Does this mean a JEEP/Eagle T5 clutch?
Lastly, to use the larger T5 clutch, would it be better to get a new flywheel instead of trying to use the 77 SR4 one?
thank you, gz
george z
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2016 at 11:40am
It depends on the flywheel, some are drilled for different patterns for different diameter clutches. It also depends on the transmission you are going to use. There are different input shafts and they are different sizes and spline counts.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2016 at 9:07am
went through problems with the clutch change on my 82 Concord T4 wagon.  Ordered a clutch kit for the 258 received a 10" and the 9" is listed for the 4cyl engines.  Well the 10" didn't fit.  And for other reasons the 9" didn't due to the height was slightly higher and the pedal wouldn't disengage so had that rebuilt then the clutch plate and the center spring area was too thick so I ended up having that rebuilt too.  About $220 on the rebuilds, as I had to do with my other Concord SR4 wagon (which originally was a T5)  So I still have a clutch kit, minus the throw out bearing, will have to check and see which one it is.
Also tied up my local garage for 2 weeks working it out.

Along with ordering a kit for my AMC I also checked the specs of the one in the car, to make sure.  Plus the one that I did on the red woody wagon, was replaced with a kit.  But I also have been known for having stupid problems along the way...  just ask...  Good info all around.

Edited by javelinman74 - Nov/28/2016 at 9:34pm
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2016 at 9:24pm
What is needed is an AMC Clutch disc which makes it compatible with an AMC Clutch and pressure plate assembly that has spline count compatible with the transmission configuration. This makes it to fit with out all the problems people have been having.
This is what I used aprx. 26 years ago when I first did the T5 conversion for my Donohue. I don't track Jeep stuff so I have no clue what a Jeep clutch is. And looking in what is available, I have not found individual clutch discs as they used to be sold but rather clutch "kits" found using drop downs on the on line catalogs which don't work either, because I am not looking for a kit but a disc that will fit the clutch pressure plate assembly I have on the shelf for T5 conversions for either my I-6 or 360 cu in V8 engines.
2 blown up computers have rendered my files to be almost impossible to trace so it is going to take me a while to locate what I am looking for.
But when I do I will post it here.
I bolted things together then and I have two engines I intend to bolt together now with out all the cockamamie filing and hacking on clutch discs and such to get things to fit that seem to be taking place now.
But keep in mind, what is trying to be accomplished, is being done with what for all practical purposes are now obsolete parts.
UPDATE: I found what I was looking for last night and if you have the correct T5 from the 87 through 92 Mustang 5L V8 it should have a 10 count spline on it which is compatible with AMC clutch disc which bolts on to the AMC flywheel as it should. Providing you either turn down the Ford input bearing retainer or use one from an AMC T4 or T5 transmission. Turning down the Ford one has been done using a drill press and a file and a little care.

Edited by uncljohn - Nov/29/2016 at 3:00pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic