TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > AMC Cars For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'77 Hornet AMX - pics on Pg. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '77 Hornet AMX - pics on Pg. 2
    Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 8:10pm
This is a better than average (40 year old) daily driver...as it is. I’ve acquired all the pieces/parts (that I am aware of) so it's ready to restore if you choose to go that route. I originally bought it to make it a weekend street/strip car...but it's too complete and too nice to do that.

There is a C.E. on front fender…California Edition is what I was told…and based on some feedback and car history...that seems to be correct.

VIN is in the Hornet AMX Registry.

FireCracker Red

Flares/bumper treatments/inserts are there and very nice...w/exception of the
passenger/front wheel flare (it was missing when I bought it) I have acquired
one to replace it…it’s yellow though. Have extras also.  Bumper inserts are faded. (almost white)

Rear window louvre still there and in good condition.

Originally 258…PO swapped in a nicely running 304 w/headers…no idea on mileage. I started it up for the first time since Dec. 17th (holiday travel) last weekend...fired right up. I drive it locally once or twice each week.

Rebuilt 904 w/manual valve body (less than 150 miles…I had professionally done this fall)

AMC-15 rear-end

Front disc...drum rear...no issues.

PrestoLite electronic ignition

New gas tank/fuel sending unit…original fuel lines flushed…Edelbrock carb. cleaned and rebuilt...w/manual choke and electric fuel pump. (done last fall)

Has original I-6 coil springs…I have a set of v8 springs to install.

Air shocks in the back…I believe original shocks up front.

Lights and turn signals work fine.

Windshield wipers and heater work well.

Original (I think?) 14x6 wheels and caps.  New Cooper
tires. (>90% tread)

Hatchback struts still function nicely.

Door and hatch cylinder locks could use replacing...but still work. (I have some coming to include.)

Cracked windshield.

Black interior:

Seats front and back are very, very nice...and original.

Driver seatback latch had previously been removed…I have since acquired a new one to install.

Door cards/door pull handles could use some work.  (If I were continuing on with the project I
would replace the door card/backing panel…and have the original door panel material
put back on it.)

Speedo, tach and fuel gauge functional. (fuel gauge was replaced with a period correct AMC fuel gauge)

Rally Pack gauges functional…except clock.  Period correct AMC clock purchased for
install.

ICE...RCA “special". (PO installed)  I have no idea if it works…haven’t
tried it. I bought an AMC radio from the mid-70’s that I believe would be
correct for the ’77 Hornet but am not certain.

Small crack in the dash under the radio by ash tray.

Carpet in drivers footwell needs replacing...but it allows inspection of the metal underneath. (always look on the positive side *ha*) There are front floor mats. Carpet is surprisingly nice actually.

Only rust I am aware of is on the panel by the gas tank filling tube…behind the license plate. California car originally…then to Seattle where I picked it up last summer.

There are a few dings, knicks and such about the car…better than average for a 40 year old…but only one small dent on passenger side by the rear bumper.  As well, I believe the car had body work on the
passenger front fender…near the headlight surround...paint is chipping/flaking a bit. (body stripe missing on pass. side also) With exception of passenger front fender I believe the rest of the paint to be original.

It’s an AMC…it may not be collectible…but it is still relatively rare. :o)

Asking $5k OBRO for Forum members…would trade for the right 2WD Jeep Gladiator/J-series or IH p/u truck. (running/driving...minimal rust) Or...I’d listen to what you have.

Car is in Seattle/Tacoma. Clear title.

Can’t post pics (iPad issue)…but can text/e-mail them to you. (text easier...they are on my phone)

A PNW buyer would seem to me to be the most cost effective...but if you’re in the MidWest or NE and want to have it shipped...I won’t charge you to package it up. *wink* Please...no tire kickers.

PM contact info. with any questions or requests.

Thanks!

Michael

P.S. If somebody would like to post a few pics for me...I would gratefully send a few.

Edited by AMoCoLite - Feb/13/2018 at 8:51am
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 11:27am
I have the original door cards left over from my '77 AMX if anybody is interested. If so, let me know and I'll dig them out and get some pics posted.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Herman."
1951 Ford F-1, with C4, 351W, cam, headers, "Henry".
1993 Mustang convertible LX 5.0 "Sally"
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 8:04pm
Better yet...if you buy Mr. Ed's original door cards...and you need a car to put them in to...give me a holler...I'll provide you with everything else needed to make it a complete '77 Hornet AMX.

This is nice Hornet...just needs somebody to luv on it...the car is too complete to do what I had originally planned. With no garage out here in the PNW...I've taken it as far as I'm going to. I have a '70 and a '73 Levi's back home in the Midwest that I'd like to devote my attention/funds to at some point. (and a '68 AMX to play with while I'm out West here)

Pics available...I just can't post them to the website. (iPad doesn't communicate well with The Forum)

Thanks!

Michael
c 214.229.8100
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 10:30am
Let me clarify my comment. I have the cards with the foam strips. The vinyl is gone since I used them on the new door cards.

Later!
Mr. Ed
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Let me clarify my comment. I have the cards with the foam strips. The vinyl is gone since I used them on the new door cards.

Later!
Mr. Ed

If they were worth saving...why did you replace the originals? (just curious) Depending on their condition...I might like to purchase them...pics/price? (you can use the number in my post above to text them)

The vinyl on my Hornet AMX is in good condition...I would re-use it (personally)...the original door cards are a bit warped/wavy though. (but not horrendous either)

Thanks!
hotrob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hotrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 10:46am
I grew up in California and saw several AMC's with the black C.E. letters on the front fender, from 1972 and up and even a '77 AMX. They used a two color C.E. decal on the '77 Gremlin Sundowner editions.
'78 Pacer pickup 401, 5-speed
'73 Hornet X Levi's
'73 Cardin AMX 401, auto
'73 Javelin 401, 4-speed
'72 Gremlin X V8, 3-speed
'74 Gremlin V8, auto Levi's
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Later!
Mr. Ed

If they were worth saving...why did you replace the originals? (just curious) Depending on their condition...I might like to purchase them...pics/price? (you can use the number in my post above to text them)

The vinyl on my Hornet AMX is in good condition...I would re-use it (personally)...the original door cards are a bit warped/wavy though. (but not horrendous either)

Thanks!

Just going from memory, they have the usual water damage and the PO had cut new ones out of aluminum so I used them. I will pull them out when I am in the shop today and get some pics.

Later!
Mr. Ed
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:03am
Originally posted by hotrob hotrob wrote:

I grew up in California and saw several AMC's with the black C.E. letters on the front fender, from 1972 and up and even a '77 AMX. They used a two color C.E. decal on the '77 Gremlin Sundowner editions.

So...would that have been something a local California dealer (or several) would have done?
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

Originally posted by hotrob hotrob wrote:

So...would that have been something a local California dealer (or several) would have done?

Yes, they were regional specials sold in CA. The "CE" decals are shown in the AMC parts book with a number.
1969 AMX 290 (first car)
1971 Hornet SC/360
1977 Levi's Hornet AMX
AMO# 983
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:34am
Lowering to $5k OBRO…would trade for the right 2WD Jeep Gladiator/J-series or IH p/u truck.

Thanks!

Michael
214-229-8100

Edited by AMoCoLite - Feb/12/2018 at 11:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic